VSM. Found a new belt with great price to performance ratio

Eric,
I know, when your are small most won't give you S#$^&! LOL.

I buy a LOT of belts and have been buying from Tru-Grit for about 15 years now.

At $4.15 for the 50 Grit VSM belts and about $3.00 for the 120 grit they are almost free!

Scott is pretty cool, Ask him to throw one VSM in for a TEST belt with your order..
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Hi,
I use the VSM XK870 (36,60,120,240) now for more than a a year and I am overall satisfied with the performance. The norton/trizact are a bit longer lasting on some grits but here they are almost twice the price (depending on the grit) of the VSM. And I like to use a local product :)

Hello Rolynd,
You must live in Germany if VSM is a local product?
Hello and welcome to the pack here at knife Dogs. Like you just noted, at about half the price of most of the Norton & 3M belts I am very happy with the VSM products.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence,

Well I finally need to order more belts, and going to give both Trugit and VSM a chance. I hope you still like them. I'm going to order part of what I need from them and the other part of my order from my regular supplier. I will advise as to how the new works for me. Order going out in the morning.

I remembered reading this thread so I looked it up today and then went to work making a small list of several things they have I would like to try besides belts.

George

Last edited:
I'm coming to this thread a little late, but I will say that the VSM belts are pretty good for the $. At 1/3 the cost of Blaze belts, they're a winner. There's nothing better than using a fresh belt and at the VSM price, I don' t mind changing them often.
John Emmerling
http://www.gearhartironwerks.com

Seems like they are a get value. You might be changing them out sooner but you get a fresh cutting surface with each belt change.

Do these fracture well when they dull with get raked across with some steel?

Seems like they are a get value. You might be changing them out sooner but you get a fresh cutting surface with each belt change.

Do these fracture well when they dull with get raked across with some steel?

My experence is that they start to build heat up faster than I am comfortable at about half their grit/life gone.
I am using them on heat treated steel and for thin culinary knives I want to keep that heat down.

They still work fine for hogging/profiling non-heat treated steel for the rest of the grit in the 36 & 60 grit belts.
The 120 grit ceramic I get one knife then its off to doing flats until dead!

Just got an order in of VSM belts from Tru Grit. So far so good. They seem to track better than my regular Blaze and you cannot beat the price.

Jag,
Yeah I had a few of those Blaze belts that weren't cut straight. It was a real disappointment when that would happen. I have been grinding away with these VSM belts for about a year and a half and have had other brands sent to me for testing.
I still say that these VSM belts are the best belt for the buck around!

Well I have tried the VSM belts I ordered last month. The 36# and the 60# worked out good for me. I will buy more.

Now the 120# worked so good I will be buying twice the amount. I use a 1hp motor with a VFD and these belts run cooler than the ones I used before, last longer, and the price is very right. I use them before and after heat treat.

Laurence, Thank You for posting about these. (Started the design of the culinary knife for the wife)

George

Back