W2 Forging Services Needed

JC in SC

I have two bars (1.5" dia. x 8") of Don Hanson's W2 that I purchased some months back in preparation for the day that I get a forging operation set up. In the mean time, I've been bitten by the slip joint bug. I would like to make a couple of slip joint blades out of W2 in order to bring out a nice hamon. Unfortunately, I don't presently have the facilities to forge a piece from this size bar into a workable slip-joint-blade-sized piece of flat stock. I have no idea what the going rate for this service might be, which is why I'm posting this request here. If an experienced person might be willing to forge some slices out into a couple ~0.75" x 4" x 0.13" pieces of bar, I'm sure we could work out a deal. Depending on terms, I could either do straight cash or possibly trade some W2 for the services. If anyone is interested, you can respond here, PM or email (josh_christopher@msn.com) me.

Thanks,
JC

JC,

If you talk to Don, he had a guy who was forging those bars down for customers. For the life of me I can't remember who it was but I'm sure Don can put you in touch with him.

JC,

If you talk to Don, he had a guy who was forging those bars down for customers. For the life of me I can't remember who it was but I'm sure Don can put you in touch with him.

His name is Michael Pikula... he did a great job for me forging down some of Don's W2 into workable bar.

I'll look up Mr. Pikula. Maybe it wasn't clear, but I only want someone to forge down, by my estimate, about 1/2" to 5/8" of one bar. Assuming a 20% loss of material to scale, this should yield two .13" x .75" x 4" bars.

I looked up Michael on Don Fogg's website. It appears that after forging down quite a bit of W2 he fell behind on some orders and discontinued the service earlier this year. I sent two emails, both directly and through the Don Fogg site, with no response yet. Anyone else interested? If the above mentioned quantity isn't worth your time, I am open to having more forged down.

Back