W2 Tool Steel

Tim Lively

I sure would like to try some new flat bar of W2 tool steel from a source that I feel assured I'm using the true alloy. I've heard old Nicholson black diamond files and a few other tools were made from it but nothing in the US in years. I also hear they have it in England so why cant we get a trade going on between smiths? What resources are there and how can we get some of that freaky stuff?

i recently ordered some steel from aldo (new jersey steel baron) and he says he hopes to have more W2 in stock sometime in december.

I think I will be trying some of this steel as well. I have seen some of Scott McGhee's blades that are made from W-2 and have wanted to try that steel ever since

Thanks for the link. I kept coming across references to Aldo but no website so I'm glad I asked. You would think a knifemaker's supply would see the demand for this alloy.

Old aldo had some 1075 made up special , Low count manganese should throw a killer Hamon , if thats what you are looking for
His W-2 is also low on the manganese count , should have similar results .... Good luck Bubba

W2 is great to work with.

Maybe try some fresh canola oil for quenching, on pieces up to 3/16 - 1/4 thick at the spine, unless you want to pop for some Parks #50. It needs a fast oil. Un-accelerated petroleum oils, like ATF or motor oil probably wouldn't give as good of results. I've had good results with the canola.... besides it's eco friendly and smells better.

Last edited:
I want to second what Tai said. W2 is great (so is Aldo's 1075 - they are the main two alloys I use. The dao I posted over in the sword forum is a mix of w2 and aldo's 1075). Aldo is a good guy, too.

I use water or parks (and just bite the bullet and lose some).

have fun.
kc

Back