Warped Stock

Faron Moore

So I ordered some steel from my favorite steel supplier and upon opening the package, every piece had some bad bowing and twisting in the 48 and 36" bars. The bars are stainless so they must be sent out-of-house for heat treat making it a nightmare (darn expensive) to have them straightened at peter's. Anyhow, they seem to have been shear cut and they bend upward (laying flat on some MDF, the ends raise up about half an inch in each side.)

Any ideas, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Last edited:
That sucks. I have been fortunate enough to have not encountered this particular problem. There are numerous posts on these forums of tips and tricks to straighten a bent blade, do a search and see what you can find.
Good luck!

Faron, that's often characteristic of the stock we get from our wholesale suppliers - all of them. It's nice to avoid and certainly happens in varying degrees. Having said that, it all comes annealed so it souldn't be hard to straighten before you start working it. Even PG stock isn't necessarily warp free. It will be flat and parallel, but as soon as the magnet releases, it could be right back to bowed.

Rob!

I've had some stock that had a good 1/4" bow in 24" stainless before. I laid out my knives on it, then beat it flat while still annealed making sure to keep the hammer marks in the handle areas or where I'd be hollow grinding. Didn't want to put a ding in the soft steel where a ricasso flat would be. Turned out fine during heat treatment.

Unfortunately, it can be a common thing. I check all my incoming steel usually as soon as I open the package. The hard ones to level are those that come in after heat treat. Frank

Back