Watch a 17 year old learn to make knives.

The Pict is now shipped, I didn't sharpen it just in case it upset customs. It's now on its way to Perth WA but I suppose that means Washington or something to you guys but really WA stands for Western Australia. The sheath is darker because it wasn't quite finished when I took the pictures. The etching turned out better this time as well, I think it turned out better all round although I prefer the Tassie Devil design wise. I have a neck knife as well as the 7" sabatier and another Tassie Devil being sanded for HT. I'm going to try a stonewash for the TD and necker I think.

Attachments

• IMGP4813.jpg
    IMGP4813.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 67
  • IMGP4812.jpg
    IMGP4812.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP4814.jpg
    IMGP4814.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 52
It's great knowing that someone asked you to make a metal bar into a knife for them and you managed to make something salable which you can be proud to have your name on.

Sorry I've not been keeping this up guys, I went and got a decent job which kept me busy and now I'm off at university so that's keeping me busy. I work as a kitchen porter and everyone in the kitchen wants a knife but I had to tell them my production is essentially zero again which was a bad feeling. Hopefully soon I can get back into it a wee bit though.

Back in business

Well my boss turned out to be a long list of expletives and got the restaurant shut down, I drop out of uni to start a product design degree next year so I have some time to make stuff again. I have got a reliable Heat treater again so I should be getting two finished shortly. I started a large one too. It's not a chopper so I'm not sure what you'd call it because it's getting a sharpened swedge. Maybe it counts as a sword who knows.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Two blades are back now and I have decided acid washing is my favourite. Ready for a handle now and the necker needs a sheath before it is sharpened. The incompetent man/gibbon didn't do what I asked with the engraving so bummer there but it's for me so I don't mind too much. I need to decide on the wood for the handle, I'm thinking shee oak or maybe fiddleback tas oak. What do you all think of stabilising for a high gloss finish as well, worth it? I'm going to get a stamp and do this sheath tooled as well to make up for the sub par work on the last one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 20
The last two are different I kind of like it. Keep up the good work and good luck with school and job~!!

Well my boss turned out to be a long list of expletives and got the restaurant shut down, I drop out of uni to start a product design degree next year so I have some time to make stuff again. I have got a reliable Heat treater again so I should be getting two finished shortly. I started a large one too. It's not a chopper so I'm not sure what you'd call it because it's getting a sharpened swedge. Maybe it counts as a sword who knows.

First let me say, Great looking Socks! LOL I like the sword pattern too!

Laurence, don't you feel like a heel now, (get it heel...........sock), making fun of the mans socks, you ought to be ashamed!:s12137: Sorry I couldn't resist picking on you a little Laurence!

Lyaim, I went to the link some really nice hand woven items! Wool is one of the warmest things you can put on! Unfortunately I can't wear it right against my skin, or I break out itching in a short while. I have to wear it over top of cotton.

I used to have a wool trench/overcoat, made of wool, that I would wear on my trap-line in Nebraska on those really cold blizzard days. My father had a hard fast rule, and I ran that trap-line twice a day unless the weather was so bad I considered it dangerous. It was an old Air Force coat but I could put that thing on and go out in a raging blizzard and everything the coat covered stayed warm!!

I have many a pair, a mate of mine bought a Swedish AF greatcoat and says the exact same thing, I'm not sure he does any trapping though. He did visit his lady in Switzerland in the winter though. Mine is a blended knockoff but it was cheap so no worries

Back