Water Camo!

Taz575

Well, I finally figured out the Blue Camo I have been trying for the past several months!! This is what started me on making my own handle material. I wanted something in Blue that reminded me of fishing and had lots of figure to it and would be able to stand up to the saltwater environment. Enter the Tojiro DP 155mm Deba knife with a VG-10 core and softer stainless on the outside. Black Linen Micarta bolster with the Water Camo for the main part of the handle.

I finished the handle up to 320 grit by hand and then rubbed in 2 layers of Tru Oil. I got some pics with the fresh Tru Oil on it (shiny) and then after I installed the handle onto the Deba, I wiped the handle down with DNA to mute the gloss a tad.

WaterCamoDeba.jpg

WaterCamoDeba2.jpg

WaterCamo5.jpg

Pics in the sun with the Tru Oil still on it fully. Nice and glossy, love the contrast between the colors!
WaterCamo1.jpg

WaterCamo2.jpg

WaterCamo3.jpg

WaterCamo4.jpg

WaterCamo6.jpg

WaterCamo9.jpg

WaterCamo8.jpg

WaterCamo7.jpg

That's some of the nicest looking "micarta" I've seen, custom or otherwise! Nice job!

Wow that is really cool!

I could really see that on a fillet knife, it would make an awesome handle for something like that!:35:

The blade it is on is a Japanese style fillet knife :)

Same fillet as above with a 7" more normal fillet knife. For the 7" blade, I cut the block so that the side of the block would be the top of the handle; it gives a different look to it!
EWblue3.jpg

EWblue.jpg

EWblue4.jpg

Better pics of the normal fillet knife handle:
BWC4.jpg

BWC3.jpg

I am using the MAS Epoxies Low Viscosity Resin and Hardener. Very thin, water clear, no odors, no VOC's and once it's fully cured, the epoxy is non toxic and food safe.

There isn't too much technique with this stuff. I cut up the fabric colors into little bits, then soak it with MAS Epoxy. I use a sheet metal mold that a friend bent up for me so I have a 1.5x1"x5" block when finished approximately. I duct tape the ends of the mold and put parchment paper inside of the mold. I smoosh the epoxy soaked fabric into the mold, fill it up and press it down with a piece of thick plywood covered in parchment paper and clamps.

I'm working on a Tutorial as we type :)

All done, it's in the Tutorial Section!!

Last edited:
The trick for the regular camo colors is to remember that they will darken. I use a dark brown instead of black, a khaki color, Kelly Green Denim and a Dark green/Evergreen color.

Here are 2 of my regular Camo ones:
GameDinnerSet2.jpg

EK1.jpg

Molded slab from the bottom one; I used 3 layers of Kelly Green Demin to act as a built in spacer:
Camoslab1.jpg

The middle pan in this pic has the colors I use before they get wetted out. The lighter green turns dark, the evergreen and dark brown turn almost black, the khaki doesn't change a lot, but it does darken a bit. The batch to the right is the same base, but with Blaze Orange added to it:
Epoxytime.jpg

Above batches out of the mold:
Camo31.jpg

Hope this helps!!

Back