Wayne Goddard's one brick forge???

Coyote_killer2013

Anybody ever use one of Wayne Goddard's one brick forge? The one made out of a firebrick and the use of a propane torch. Are they worth building? Would this work for heating the knife up for heat treating? Thanks

They work! Of course, they work even better with MAPP Gas. You'd be surprised how many guys have built these forges starting out. There are a few guys (me included) who still use them from time to time on small projects as they are much quicker and easier than a large forge.

Yes they do work. It is not the best choise but it is what I use. I recently saw one made from a coffee can lined with wool that uses a torch this looked like a better way to go because the heat will swril in the round forge better than it will in the oval shape of the one brick forge. this will allow you to have more even heating. I can not remember were I saw it but do a google search and you should find it pretty easy

Check out your local hardware store (Lowe's, Home Depot). They sell a small propane style torch which uses MAPP Gas as opposed to propane. It burns a bit hooter than propane. I'm not sure, but you may be able to use Mapp Gas with your normal propane torch head.

I've used the 1 brick forge (and extended it end-to-end to a 2 bricker for bowie knife work) - I'll just agree with the others - - - and add that you want to wrap some bailing wire around it - the high temp bricks tend to crack after multiple heating/cooling cycles. I've changed over to using a home-built propane forge with a T-Rex burner (more room, more even heat) but keep the 1 brick forge around for small, quick hot work - - - and if you wanted to take your forge to a hammer in it's a *!#@ of a lot easier to take the 1 brick forge!!!

If you want to make your brick forge a bit bigger, you can use mortar to bind more than one brick to make a larger chamber.

1Brick1.jpg
1Brick2.jpg
1Brick.jpg

I have the bricks for this for $3.00 each plus shipping and other forge building supplies:
2600 degree Castable Refractory for $12.00 for 6 # container.
3000 degree Kast-0-Lite Castable Refactory for $16.00 for 6# container.
Plistix Infrared Reflective product (similar to ITC 100 but much cheaper) $10.00 per pint.
Inswool ceramic fiber for $7.00 per foot 2 feet wide.

What part of SWA are you in? We have a few Knife Dogs down in your area who may be able to give you a hand.

Well heck, you have all the help you need a hop skip and jump out your front door. They have a monthly meeting over at Uncle Al's store, "Riverside Machine" on the second Thursday evening of each month.

Ok guys need some help... Tried the forge today and it wouldn't get the metal red hot. It got it hot just not hot enough. The hole in the side may be to small its less than 1inch. Or it could be something else. Any advice??? Thanks.

Yes, there in DeQueen.

As for the hole, I made mine large enough for the tip of my torch to fit inside. What size of steel are you working with?

I use one and it works well for simple steels-I just wouldn't recommend it for anything other then 1080-1084 steels. Just remember to coat the inside of it with forge insulating material so the reflecting heat will heat the steel faster and more uniform.

Back