Well I finally did it...

Chris Railey

Last edited:
I broke down and ordered my CowBoy Outlaw hand crank sewing machine. I am broke again but I will no longer need to sew by hand. Currently in my process sheaths are a big slow down so this should help a lot. I will post some stuff once I get it and figure it out.
Awesome man, I will just send my knives to you to make the sheaths!

I was just watching a video of that 3200 model (motor drive), boy is that impressive. I wish I could find a good reason to order one :) Just a tad pricey for no more sheaths I made each year.

Congrats Chris, that looks like a nice machine, and personally I think I would prefer a manual machine verses powered.

Congratulations on your purchase! I have one of the Chinese Shoe patcher. Good for smaller stuff 5-6 oz I have done 8-9 oz with it but the foot marks the leather pretty bad so I go back to drilling and hand sewing! One if these days I'll get a real machine!! LOL!!

Congratulations on your purchase! I have one of the Chinese Shoe patcher. Good for smaller stuff 5-6 oz I have done 8-9 oz with it but the foot marks the leather pretty bad so I go back to drilling and hand sewing! One if these days I'll get a real machine!! LOL!!

I bought one of those as well. Just haven't had the time to set it up yet.

As for the "footprints" I've heard several solutions for that. After filing or sanding the bottom of the foot some, then either coating with Flex Seal or fitting surgical tubing over the foot.

I bought one of those as well. Just haven't had the time to set it up yet.

As for the "footprints" I've heard several solutions for that. After filing or sanding the bottom of the foot some, then either coating with Flex Seal or fitting surgical tubing over the foot.

It actually works pretty good once you get things sorted! I don't want to file foot to much I've herd they slip then? I'll eventually get it but it is frustrating for sure!!

I also bought the shoe patcher and I just could not get it to sew like I wanted. That is more than likely due to my inability to tweak it properly. I cut someone a good deal on mine if they want it.

I also bought the shoe patcher and I just could not get it to sew like I wanted. That is more than likely due to my inability to tweak it properly. I cut someone a good deal on mine if they want it.
I bought one a couple months ago....still in the box....

That is more than likely due to my inability to tweak it properly.
I think that can be a sink-hole. I don't need mine yet and will only be prototyping sheaths to show my sheath maker...

still...I'm dreading the set-up of the machine...they're pretty rough looking. Think I'll leave it for blizzard season....lol.

I think that can be a sink-hole. I don't need mine yet and will only be prototyping sheaths to show my sheath maker...

still...I'm dreading the set-up of the machine...they're pretty rough looking. Think I'll leave it for blizzard season....lol.

Watch the YouTube videos Ted. The machine can be a Bear to dial in! The biggest problem I encountered (seems to be the most common issue too) is to get the Bobbin to thread up from the bottom. Its a timing issue. I put my handle in the 12 o'clock position and place the Bobbin with the high side of bobbin set from 12 to 6 o'clock. 1 or 2 teeth off either way (on bobbin) usually doesn't seem to matter (at least on my machine). Thread also affects timing on bobbin and was the second problem I had after changing needle size and thread size (of course not knowing what the heck I was doing). Once you figure it out it runs GREAT!

Watch the YouTube videos Ted. The machine can be a Bear to dial in! The biggest problem I encountered (seems to be the most common issue too) is to get the Bobbin to thread up from the bottom. Its a timing issue. I put my handle in the 12 o'clock position and place the Bobbin with the high side of bobbin set from 12 to 6 o'clock. 1 or 2 teeth off either way (on bobbin) usually doesn't seem to matter (at least on my machine). Thread also affects timing on bobbin and was the second problem I had after changing needle size and thread size (of course not knowing what the heck I was doing). Once you figure it out it runs GREAT!
Thanks 07!

Back