What a day!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Yesterday in the forging shop, the bear ate me! :oops: Was on the rolling mill, trying to roll out some 4140 for angle peen hammers. Tried to take just a bit too large a bit and blew the hydraulic motor that runs the rolling mill. Popped the shaft seal, and fluid was going everywhere. I got everything shut down and cleaned up, then this morning tore into it..... had to drain about 20 gallons of hydraulic fluid outta the system (the same power/fluid system runs both Orange Crush/my press, and the rolling mill....the system has an 80 gallon tank) then, pull the lines and unmounted the motor. Took it in to the local hydraulic repair shop this morning.....and got a call about noon...... the motor is shot/non-repairable.:confused:

The next 3 hours were spent on the internet and phone, trying to track down a replacement. First stop, Surplus Center...... nope we don't have anything that will match up to that! After several more calls, I tried Motion Industries....... cheapest comparable replacement motor...... $612.00 plus shipping. :eek: Oh well.....guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Now I just have to wait for 2-3 weeks before it ships. Good thing I have a number of blades forged and ready to heat treat.....time to switch gears for a while. Sure do hope the Blade Show goes good this year....... I'm tetering on that "poor as a church mouse" thing.

OH WAIT! A year or so ago I saw a "go fund me" page that someone had setup so they could purchase a new forging press! Hmmm........naw, I don't think I could ever bring myself to do something like that. :)

Last edited:
OH WAIT! A year or so ago I saw a "go fund me" page that someone had setup so they could purchase a new forging press! Hmmm........naw, I don't think I could ever bring myself to do something like that. :)

Like I could see you doing that!! Sorry about the bad luck!!

Hows that old saying Ed, some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you!

Sorry for your bad luck and yes that Go fund me thing really amazes me wat people want you to help them pay for.I have too much pride for that crap.

I have too much pride for that crap

That's me.....to a "T". I've actually had people I've never heard of, email me a big long, sob story, and then at the end, tell me they needed a new power hammer or a press, and asked me to donate "to the cause". :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping folks in need...... but I guess it seems that many confuse the word "need" with the word "want".

Back