What artificial ivory?

VaughnT

I've got a new blade in mind (the Muses speak!) and would like to do a handle and sheath in synthetic ivory. I'm looking for something that has a nice grain and a bit of an aged look.

Someone recommended white paper micarta, but I'm worried about the paper picking up stains with handling. This will be more of a showpiece that a user as I want to keep it pretty.

Anywhere to get a long slab to make a hard sheath for a 9" blade?

Call either Brad Vice with Alabama Damascus or Tom Mc Ginnis at Nixa, Missouri. They were the two that got the old ivory micarta that Bear Industries had. It is in 3/16 thickness.

How do the different types work? I note that Texas Knife lists one as "best quality" but what does that mean compared to other brands?

Anything different about synthetic ivory compared to working with micarta or wood?

I have used the Fabricated Ivory, from Jantz Supply, mine was the Antique Ivory, and it worked very well, it did have a tendency to splinter around the pin holes when drilling, but with sharp bits and going slow was just fine. Jantz describes it as fragile until it is fixed to the blade. It sanded and polished very well, and had good color and grain. I really liked the look of it. Hope this helps.

Link to knife with fabricated ivoryhttp://whitesell-knives.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=36898198

Last edited:
Back