what do people want out of a supply company?

Vance C.

hi guys, my friend and i were toying with the idea of starting a little supply business making rag/pattern/plain micarta-style handle material, and maybe some mokume-gane, and possibly mosaic pins. i was wondering, what do you want to see in a knife supply store? as far as customer service, any preferences on materials, like is there more demand in canvas micarta over paper? if you guys have any helpful hints, it would be nice to hear! thanks!

The fact that you're asking is a good sign.

I will echo the statements above, and also add that a good website will probably be worth the time and $$ is takes to set it up. If I can easily fill my cart, see pictures of what I'm buying, and quickly pay online I will come back whenever I need something.

One other idea is to group things that folks will need together. You will be selling a few handle related items. Why not see about selling some other handle essentials, epoxy, spacers etc. I like to get all my goodies in one spot whenever possible to reduce my cost and hassle.

Quality products, Speed is good, but order accuracy is more important to me ! I would like to shop at one place for everything, but it is not reality. Besides, I like to be fair and shop around. Find unique products and set yourself apart from the rest! Good luck, It's a dog eat dog world out there!
Clint

I want to see competitive (if not THE lowest) prices on products offered. This also includes having reasonable shipping costs. I don't want to buy a $10 or $15 dollar item only to have to pay $12 bucks or more for shipping and handling via UPS. Especially when the item could have been sent just as easily for $5 or less via USPS (and probably just as quickly too).

Also, I like to see FAST shipping/order processing. I don't even mind if it's the slowest form of shipping from the USPS. What I mean is that I want to see my items shipped within 24 hours, if not same day for in stock, non custom items.

Speaking of that, I also want to see a website with inventory that's updated daily. I don't like ordering a product (or a number of products) only to be told a day or two later that they've had the item on backorder for the last couple days, weeks, or even months.

Then of course, you've gotta have good customer service. If your customer is reasonably dissatisfied, you need to take care of them. Even if occasionally it comes at your expense. Treat customers with respect, and they'll not only stick around, but they'll recommend you even despite the occasional mistake or dissatisfaction, assuming you make it right.

That, along with what others have already said pretty much sums it up for me.

sweet thanks guys, ill start figuring out a plan and hopefully ill have a website up in the near future! near being like the next year

Back