What do you recon this metal is?

Everyone things are acids are being dangerous, basic solutions are just as hazardous. Even stuff like concrete and mortar. They're TERRIBLE on your hands. Not to mention, they'll destroy a pair of leather boots in no time. If you wear leather boots and you get concrete splashed on them, wash them off and oil them as soon as you take your boots off.

Yummy delicious zinc acetate.. isn't that what is in the zinc lozenges?

This is free metal that I was using to prototype stuff with my brake. Working on duplicating Robohippys angled rest. But ar 0.032 it is a bit flimsy for what I intimately want to make. Panel covers have been better for thickness. Some are painted and some are obviously galvanized. But I can't weld metal that thin anyway. Huzzah for poprivets :)
Please tell me "intimately" was a typo. :oops:

Edit: Like that scene from Ghost with Partick Swayze, but with a metal brake instead of a potters wheel.

Everyone things are acids are being dangerous, basic solutions are just as hazardous. Even stuff like concrete and mortar. They're TERRIBLE on your hands. Not to mention, they'll destroy a pair of leather boots in no time. If you wear leather boots and you get concrete splashed on them, wash them off and oil them as soon as you take your boots off.
We do a lot with concrete pavers, and just looking at them makes my hands want to bleed. Gloves always!

I worked residential construction for a while (still do, on and off). I remember once job we had to gut an entire house. I mean the ENTIRE house. The only thing left was the exterior concrete block walls, the roof, some of the ceiling joists, and the rafters. Not even a floor. Literally, stripped it down to the dirt underneath the house (found a SWEET old Diamond adjustable wrench down there). We had to pour a bunch of footings... I got the job of carrying in an entire forklift pallet of 80 pound bags of concrete, then got the job of carrying all of the water from the neighbors property in 5 gallon buckets, THEN get to mix and pour all of the concrete. It was just me and my boss on the job - I was the helper... This house also had all of its doors and windows and there was no breeze most of the time, so even with the windows open it was crazy dusty... I was wearing a respirator, carrying 160 pound of concrete at a time.... SUCKED! Anyway... that was the job that I learned how bad concrete will mess your boots up. I was meticulous with keeping my boots nice... I mean, I would oil them at least once a week, keep them clean, etc. After a few days of that concrete, my boots started to crack. I had them for probably 2 years without them cracking, I took notice and made sure to clean concrete off ASAP and oil them right after and haven't had a problem since.

I worked residential construction for a while (still do, on and off). I remember once job we had to gut an entire house. I mean the ENTIRE house. The only thing left was the exterior concrete block walls, the roof, some of the ceiling joists, and the rafters. Not even a floor. Literally, stripped it down to the dirt underneath the house (found a SWEET old Diamond adjustable wrench down there). We had to pour a bunch of footings... I got the job of carrying in an entire forklift pallet of 80 pound bags of concrete, then got the job of carrying all of the water from the neighbors property in 5 gallon buckets, THEN get to mix and pour all of the concrete. It was just me and my boss on the job - I was the helper... This house also had all of its doors and windows and there was no breeze most of the time, so even with the windows open it was crazy dusty... I was wearing a respirator, carrying 160 pound of concrete at a time.... SUCKED! Anyway... that was the job that I learned how bad concrete will mess your boots up. I was meticulous with keeping my boots nice... I mean, I would oil them at least once a week, keep them clean, etc. After a few days of that concrete, my boots started to crack. I had them for probably 2 years without them cracking, I took notice and made sure to clean concrete off ASAP and oil them right after and haven't had a problem since.
That will just about do it!

Back