what do you use for hand sanding?

Fletch Helical

Just curious as to what every uses for their hand sanding? I have 2 main "tools". One is a piece of metal stock I use for sanding parallel to the blade. I also have a block of Bocote I use then I sand perpendicular to the blade. I also occasionally use a small piece of 1/2" square stock that I ground a bevel on one end and rounded off the other (easier on the hand) for any hard to reach places.

What do you guys normally use or what ideas have you found to be effective for our favorite aspect of knife making ;)

It's probably a little dangerous (if the paper should tear), but I wrap paper around my fine file for parallel sanding and I have a wooden dowel for curves.

I bought a 12x12 piece of marble-like tile from Home Depot which works great for sanding the flats (stick paper on with spay adhesive and moisten with WD-40.

I use a piece of hardwood for the blade to clean up after the flat grinds, a dowel rod for curves, and I won a nice little Corian sanding block from Steve Janik that gets in tight places.

I still have to figure out what to use for my first hollow gring?

I also have a 12x12 piece of the marble stuff from Home Depot.

Here's my sanding setup. I have a sanding bar wrapped with leather and one that is ground flat without any cushion.

IMG_6490.jpg

The rig has set screws that I can advance under the leather cover to support the blade throughout its distal taper so you don't get any "sprining" of the work during sanding.

IMG_6488.jpg

I can sit comfortably on a stool and work using my body in-line with the knife to keep my strokes straight. I use an incadescent and a flourescent light as well as sunlight to check for scratches.

IMG_6492.jpg

I sometimes use cratex cones to clean up the plunge area.

--nathan

Cool setup Nathan.
I might have to give that a try myself. I especially like the adjustable set screws.

Try Gesswein EDM stones .25 x .5 x 6" from 180 to 600 grit and finish with 800 paper.

The stones rip off steel and do not round your edges.

I usually grab what ever is handy. Normally I have a piece of hardwood that's 5/16 think and 1" wide and just roll the paper around it. Get a few rubs and when the paper isn't cutting I'll turn it over and do the samething until the paper is all dull. I've tried the fancy contraptions but there more bother than what there worth. So much depends on how well you ground the blades before you start hand rubbing. Ideally I like to start with 320 but quite ofter the first rub is with 220. I prefer using some sort of cooking oil instead of wd 40 which gives me a headache. After 320 with oil I'll switch to water for the finer grits. I tried the EDM stones years ago but after finding a few deep scratches after using them I just stick with a good wet/dry paper like 3M. My 3 cents worth. :D

Back