What happen here?

JawJacker

Ok this is some 1/4 Aldo' 1084 purchased sometime last year.
This is what I did for HT
Blade was taken to 400 grit.
Took it to 1600* air cooled
loaded it ramped to 1500*
Quenched in peanut oil 120*
followed by 2 - 1hr tempers @400.
I sanded with 400 to reveal some strange results small holes and marks
Took me a while to get them out by hand then the steel looked cloudy in areas hard to get shots of that

What happen? I have had decarb before but the circles and hole were odd

Attachments

• 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 55
  • 142.jpg
    142.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 164
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 58
  • 133.jpg
    133.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 52
Had a couple pin hole type features appear on some 440c that look similar to some that you have there. Nothing like the bigger bubbles or whatever those others are. But I also notice that the 440c has a certain cloudy look in some spots once it's done HT. I'm curious to here what some of the pro metal/HT guys will say, I'll be watching closely. Sorry I can't help you.

Wayne

I am getting there this was an hour and I still see decarb small signs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 46
You said, "Ok this is some 1/4 Aldo' 1084 purchased sometime last year."

Have you used any of this steel before and if so did you have same problems??

This pic is interesting to me! As well are the pics of the pits! Circles might be something contaminated the blade but the pits and that C shaped mark on its side, they don't look like decarb!

attachment.php

Send a PM to Kevin Cashen and invite him to weigh in on this one. He has one of the best understandings of Metallurgy I have ever seen. I usually just say, Uh Hu, and nod when he speaks. :what!::biggrin: Then I spend the next trying to figure out what he just said. Just kidding usually he puts in term even I can understand!:34:

If no one has any answers, you might want to contact Aldo, and show him the pics. He not only sells steel he makes knives from what I understand! He may have some answers for you!!

Last edited:
You said, "Ok this is some 1/4 Aldo' 1084 purchased sometime last year."

Have you used any of this steel before and if so did you have same problems??

This pic is interesting to me! As well are the pics of the pits! Circles might be something contaminated the blade but the pits and that C shaped mark on its side, they don't look like decarb!

attachment.php

Send a PM to Kevin Cashen and invite him to weigh in on this one. He has one of the best understandings of Metallurgy I have ever seen. I usually just say, Uh Hu, and nod when he speaks. :what!::biggrin: Then I spend the next trying to figure out what he just said. Just kidding usually he puts in term even I can understand!:34:

If no one has any answers, you might want to contact Aldo, and show him the pics. He not only sells steel he makes knives from what I understand! He may have some answers for you!!
It looks like metal trash on the hot roll. In this last picture there two other marks that are too straight to be anything else but metal trash.

I agree with Tom that was my first thought some trash/impurities may have gotten into the steel during its conception. Probably not enough to cause any structural problems with the make-up of the steel but, enough to make the cosmetics of the steel show it!

Like I said you might want to contact Aldo. I have never heard anything bad about and if it is something in the steel he deserves to know about it! There is a phone number at the bottom of the page as well as email contact. I have heard he likes to talk on the phone! http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/

Well, I feel like its been to long now to even bother Aldo about it. I think if it were a big issue he would already know and had fixed it. I purchased this steel in 2013. I just wanted to get some feedback on the situation. I wanted to grind the rest of what I had. I agree it makes sense its probably some trash residue.
Just cosmetic. The only other concern now would be to get it hardness tested somewhere. Thanks for the input.

Well, I feel like its been to long now to even bother Aldo about it. I think if it were a big issue he would already know and had fixed it. I purchased this steel in 2013. I just wanted to get some feedback on the situation. I wanted to grind the rest of what I had. I agree it makes sense its probably some trash residue.
Just cosmetic. The only other concern now would be to get it hardness tested somewhere. Thanks for the input.

Aldo seems to want feedback and prides himself on trying to have the best steel possible. Perhaps you could just send him those pictures with a note so he is aware of it saying that you are alright and just wanted him to know.

Update: Got a call from Aldo this morning. Man this guy went out of his way, went over every frickin detail. Still not 100% sure what the deal was. I reminded him I purchased these bars at the end of 2013. I Told him, you guys here said I should mention it to him. I was cool with just letting him know what happen, wasn't even going to contact him. He insisted on sending me replacement bars. I cant say enough good about the man. You tell me where the hell else you can get customer service like that.

I have always heard nothing but good about Aldo! That reminds me I need to order some new steel!

Back