What is burnishing?

What does the term burnishing mean? I am brand new to sheath making ( never made one) and only been grinding knifes for a few months. I have 6 knives needing sheaths before I put a sharp edge on them. I believe that I have bought all of the tools and leather to get started as well as been scowering the internet for info. I just ordered a DVD Paul Long basic knife sheaths.

I keep seeing people referring to burnishing on this post and did not know what it meant.

Kent

Burnishing is usually mentioned when talking about polishing - finishing the sheaths edges and welt .
For example this sheath has a Burnished Welt-Edge.

Ken

Basically, after I've have sanded the edges even, I moisten the edge with a little water from my finger and the rub the edge briskly with a smooth tool. I my case it's a Wart Hog tooth. You can also use a smooth stone, a jeweler's burnishing tool, a polished metal rod, or a number of other things. It just has to be smooth. I usually then coat the edge with Gum Tragacanth, again using my finger, and burnishing again to seal the grain of the edge. You don't have to burnish but it does bring the craftsmanship up a notch and marks the sheath as being custom made and not something knocked off on the assembly line.

Doug

Back