What is the best knife for use around water?

jcarp0632

Hello my name is Justin I am new to the forum and just starting to get into knives. Currently I am a student at West Virginia University, I am majoring in Wildlife and Fisheries Management. I want to become a Fish Biologist when i graduate.
I am approaching my summer internship, hopefully with the WVDNR, and I am looking for a knife that I can use around water it will be fresh water but I am looking for something that will hold up well with use around the water each day. I prefer non serrated blades, Thanks for any help you can give me, jcarp0632

Last edited:
First it should be stainless steel. Probably with a Micarta or G-10 handle. Unless you are thinking about a filet knife, I would still go with a thinner blade (think filet knife but a little wider) and a slightly over sized handle (think about a skin diver's knife)with some contouring for the fingers. Your hands will be wet most of the time and I think a larger handle gives you a better grip in combination with some contouring. You will also want a Micarta sheath. My 2 cents.

Wallace

Wallace, thank you for your help. I don't think I will be cutting any up any fish so I don't think I will need a filet knife. I will be probably just need a knife to cut rope or nets and tasks like that so I am looking for a folder that won't rust on me when it gets wet. I'm just getting into knives so I'm not sure what would be best for this type of work.
thank you Justin

Im with wallace on the stainless blade. I'm partial to kydex with a drain hole at the tip of the blade

Back