What tool next?

James Puckett

I will start by listing what I have first. I have a B111 belt sander, a 3-1 mill, drill, lathe, a welder, a heat treat oven and a few hand tools. With a budget of $1200 What would you get next?

Just throwing things out there for consideration, disc sander, surface grinder, materials, another specialized grinder, or a better work table/ surface.

Band saw, disc sander, drill press, Granite surface plate, height gauge, dial calipers, files, sand paper, heat treat oil, foil, anti scale, optivisor, vice, dye chem, scribe, drill bits, end mills, foredom flex shaft, belts, comfortable bench chair, lighting, music, leather and tools, kydex and tools, etcher, is there any money left?

That raises another question is verible speed worth the extra cost?

James,
To really use your machine and the finer grit belts to maximum potential you really need a variable or at least a step pulley adjustable speed grinder.
I have both. You will fine that each grit of belt, 36, 60, 120, 220 400, 600, will have a sweet spot in speed where you get the most and best work out of that grit of belt.

It's not glamorous, but having adequate lighting in your shop and adding a quality respirator & some sort of dust control system (high or low tech) is a big plus.

Last edited:
Back