What's going on in your shop?

Had a good woodworker friend give me a bunch of really nice Mississippi Black Walnut. It's his scrap material that he was burning before I found out about it. In return for the material I made him a knife. Just a simple hunter. 8670 from Pop's. The first time I've used this steel but really like it. Orange liners and nickel silver pins.
jj1e.jpg
jj2e.jpg

These are some other knives from the same batch of wood. He's bringing more. :)
jj3e.jpg

A couple of custom orders. The first one is Alabama Damascus. Blade is done waiting on handle material.
Second one is a spruce pine cone.
ab1e.jpg
pc1e.jpg

Something different for myself. I have never made a Damascus knife. I got these two started. HHH twist Damascus. Hopefully it all works out.

8326-CF01-B5-FD-4089-945-D-D877-F7987526.jpg

Spent a whopping $40 at a local machine shop for these 2 quench tanks! Smaller one is 4x4 steel tubing, 24" tall that already had a base/flange welded on. I went over the welds between the tube and base plate with JB Kwik Weld and added the feet on so it wasn't as tippy, then sprayed the base with Gorilla Waterproofer, so hopefully between the JB weld and waterproofer/leak stopper stuff, nothing will leak out! Holds around 1.5 gallons of Parks 50 with a couple inches space at the top and I put a bread pan over it as a lid. Larger one is around 6.5" diameter, also 24" tall. Sealed with JB weld and the Gorilla waterproofer/leak stopped spray and I will attach the feet later. Still waiting on the Parks AAA to arrive for the bigger tank.2 quench tank.jpgQuench Tank.jpg

I haven't been very happy with my hand sanding station for my blades. I had been using a wood 1×2 in my Panavise and holding the blade with a heavy duty spring clamp...felt like it was always moving and I had to readjust it all the time and blade flex always bothered me. I saw another guy (TJ Traylor on facebook) built himself a handsanding contraption a while back and I always thought I needed to build one similar to his...well, yesterday was the day! This thing works SO much better than my chunk of wood!!haha I can tighten it down on the tang so the blade doesn't move around and added a threaded bolt with a piece of leather on top that holds the blade and doesn't let it flex at the tip! Works like a champ and I made it from stuff I had lying around the shop
a319a735a2314cc6c6be3bf11a809804.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Back