What's going on in your shop?

I haven't been very happy with my hand sanding station for my blades. I had been using a wood 1×2 in my Panavise and holding the blade with a heavy duty spring clamp...felt like it was always moving and I had to readjust it all the time and blade flex always bothered me. I saw another guy (TJ Traylor on facebook) built himself a handsanding contraption a while back and I always thought I needed to build one similar to his...well, yesterday was the day! This thing works SO much better than my chunk of wood!!haha I can tighten it down on the tang so the blade doesn't move around and added a threaded bolt with a piece of leather on top that holds the blade and doesn't let it flex at the tip! Works like a champ and I made it from stuff I had lying around the shop
a319a735a2314cc6c6be3bf11a809804.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
This is a really cool fixture. I'm trying to imagine it in use. I use a Panavise also.

This clamps in a standard vise and holds the blade more securely?

Cool, thanks for the picture. I'm new to the hobby and never thought about this type of setup. This looks to be more user friendly than locking a blade in the Panavise.

Last edited:
Couple more coats of Tung Oil on the handle and the final sharpening and it's done!

HHH 1095/15N20 high carbon random damascus in a 240mm gyuto.:
HHH Gyuto DOne.jpg

I used a 36" radius platen to get a hollow on the upper 2/3 of the blade and convexed the lower 1/3.
choil HHH.jpgHHH S.jpg
I went to a 800 grit handrub before etching, etched and then 1200 grit to make the 15N20 shine and make the 1095 more matte grey than dark black.

Handle is an octagon Wa handle, Corian ferrule, black g10 spacer and stabilized Golden Curly Acacia from Greenberg woods.
HHH handle.jpg

I found a 10" wet stone grinder Craigslist for $40. All cast iron, too! Single wheel, belt driven. I'm calling the guy tomorrow.

STILL haven't gotten around to finishing that 1X42 wet belt sharpener. I just need to finish the sheetmetal guard/reservoir. Lots of weird bends. The tricky part is making it not spray water everywhere. I think it's running 3,000SFM... something like that. If I ever get around to finishing it, I'll make a post about it. Even as a dry grinder it does a great job sharpening knives.

Oh, and I made the platen out if granite. Seems to hold up well.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Yeah, lapis is a beautiful deep blue semi-precious stone. That's what I get from being married to a gemologist for nigh on 40 years!
LOL.

There are two ways you learn about lapis...

Reason number A: geologist

Reason the second: Minecraft

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Minecraft is a video game. Probably the most popular video game ever created. If I remember correctly Lapis Lazuli is one of the prizes you 'collect' or obtain as you play the game.

Back