What's going on in your shop?

@REK Knives Josh put a heat treated A2 wheel on his SGA. Maybe he'll tell us what tolerances he's getting now and how it's holding up.
I'll have to check the next one I do... I think I'm holding less than .001", on a folder blade that is. Then I take to to my real surface grinder to clean up and get that final precision. The SGA is good for hogging but not finish grinding imho. I'm still getting waves but I think it's because of the belt bump.

So, I got a bent, broken punch from someone earlier. Stuck it in the forge, straightened it on the anvil, twisted it, hardened and tempered it, wire wheeled it and ground it. Took 15 minutes... about 5 minutes into the process I realized I could go to the store and buy a whole set of chisels and punches for $20... Anyway, fixed a punch.
896b45c919e6fd652960d5084fe6f706.jpg

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I bet those $20 punches didn’t look artisan-made! I really like that, 52Ford! :)
Thanks! I will add that it IS still bent (oops). I wasn't careful enough when I straightened after the twist (not the dance). I thought the crookedness would grind out, but nope! I'll fix it with the forge tomorrow.

I always like to add that twist to my punches and chisels. Adds a fairly unique look and I think it's a comfortable grip. Only takes about 30 seconds to do. Well, maybe a bit longer than that, but still.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

@REK Knives Josh put a heat treated A2 wheel on his SGA. Maybe he'll tell us what tolerances he's getting now and how it's holding up.
Just checked and it's within .0017" across a 4.5" folder blank but I'm not getting any runout at the ends, or if so only a couple tenths. Like I said, it gets me close and I finish up on my real surface grinder

Just checked and it's within .0017" across a 4.5" folder blank but I'm not getting any runout at the ends, or if so only a couple tenths. Like I said, it gets me close and I finish up on my real surface grinder

Thanks, Josh, for taking the time to measure it!

I have always liked stone on knife handles. First go around with it. And the next time will be between bolters or as spacers.stone knife 1.jpg

This is serpentine. It looks like there are cracks in it, but it's not. Those straight lines are the other mineral running through it. Although it might be a fracture point if hit hard enough. I tried to break them by hand and couldn't. I assembled it with epoxy and hidden pins in case of a fracture. But like I said next time the scales wont be so exposed.

stone knife 2 spine.jpg

I have always liked stone on knife handles. First go around with it. And the next time will be between bolters or as spacers.View attachment 81607

This is serpentine. It looks like there are cracks in it, but it's not. Those straight lines are the other mineral running through it. Although it might be a fracture point if hit hard enough. I tried to break them by hand and couldn't. I assembled it with epoxy and hidden pins in case of a fracture. But like I said next time the scales wont be so exposed.

View attachment 81608
I do like the profile of the blade, it appeals to me

One of my crucial steps in heat treating is the cryo. The last two days I have heat treated 13 knives for me to work on. Wanenmachers Arms Show is coming in a month and is the largest show in the USA.

Attachments

• 16137129-0335-4528-852B-3DDE6AF3046A.jpeg
    16137129-0335-4528-852B-3DDE6AF3046A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
I do like the profile of the blade, it appeals to me
Thanks Johan - Surprisingly I did, too. Most have my knives have been pointy hunters, but I'm going to try to make a few more like this.

In this case it was a skinning knife and I just didn't like the point so high. So, I ground off about 1/2 inch and kind of discovered it by accident.

Back