What's going on in your shop?

Thanks John ! It is a prototype I’m hoping to improve. This is from a sketch I penciled in last night. So you suggest I raise the point a bit and do a full height grind like this.
View attachment 82036
I like that. But you wouldn't have to raise it that high even, if you didn't want to. I might try halfway between your original drawing and where it is now.

I like that. But you wouldn't have to raise it that high even, if you didn't want to. I might try halfway between your original drawing and where it is now.
Thanks John, I appreciate your input. As we all know - you have a keen eye for design :).

I really like the coffin-esque handle profile. Your Proto #2 looks similar to an ESSEE Izula 2, which is a dang handy little blade.

Thanks I kinda like that handle detail. Any intentional resemblance is strictly by accident. I didn’t look at any knives for a design concept. The sketch just morphed into this shape. But then again there are only so many ways to draw a knife that hasn’t already been drawn.
On the other hand I am doing a custom job where the customer wants a Randall style mini. I can’t remember which well known maker it is but he actually advertises his knives as Randall duplicates.

Are you going to solder the blade? Also, it might be the high resolution photos - is the ricasso finished sanded?

I do plan on soldering the guard but have never done one.

There has been no sanding done yet. The blade is at 120 belt finish and has not been heat treated yet.

I just had some time today and I was working on another guard, so I did this one as well...

There has been no sanding done yet. The blade is at 120 belt finish and has not been heat treated yet.

I just had some time today and I was working on another guard, so I did this one as well...
Stainless can be a pain to solder. I’ve found that the high temp stuff Jantz sells (I’m sure there are plenty of places to buy it) works really well. I use graphite pencil as a resist so the solder doesn’t get anywhere I don’t want it. That Bowie is looking pretty sweet.

Just saw this video. Might help some. One thing I would do differently is wrap the blade in wet paper towels or cloth. But it seems to be a well intended video on soldering knife guards. The fellow likes a wide ricasso for sure- maybe because of his soldering method.

Back