What's going on in your shop?

I've been wanting to make one of these stands for awhile. The base is a piece of feather crotch oak (found in backyard) and the vertical is a piece of Manzanita (also from backyard)

View attachment 82751

View attachment 82750
Chris: I was looking at your stand and wondering just how the knife stays vertical in the first photo, without stabbing the wood shown in the second photo. Is there a magnet in the branch?

Chris: I was looking at your stand and wondering just how the knife stays vertical in the first photo, without stabbing the wood shown in the second photo. Is there a magnet in the branch?

Yes there are magnets in the branch just above the tip of the knife and magnets in the base just below the handle. The knife isn't embedded in the wood at all it is free floating

Working on a final fit up before epoxy.

FC978-DE2-B95-F-4602-AE4-C-408-F1-E62-BB19.jpg

AD3-C84-ED-A105-4936-846-E-793-C69-CCF9-E0.jpg

Can you clarify on the magnet positions?

Sure, the top magnet is inside the branch in the lower half. I had to cut it off, hollow out an area and then put the magnets insde. Then glue that section of the branch back on. The base I just drilled up from the bottom about 2/3rds of the way through the board, put the magnets in and then glued them in place. You can balance the knife either way, tip up or tip down.

Image000011.jpg

Nice! watch where it goes with the ivory on it. there's some folks that like to confiscate knives with ivory. I've got some nice pieces I've just been sitting on for about four years now, probably use them and just warn the owners about the laws out there.

Sure, the top magnet is inside the branch in the lower half. I had to cut it off, hollow out an area and then put the magnets insde. Then glue that section of the branch back on. The base I just drilled up from the bottom about 2/3rds of the way through the board, put the magnets in and then glued them in place. You can balance the knife either way, tip up or tip down.

View attachment 82764

Chris, that is the slickest stand I've ever seen. Very creative - and the woodwork on the stand looks really good. Color me IMPRESSED!

Lost my Dad in 2020. I've been missing him so I decided to make a tribute knife to him. He loved turkey hunting so the scales have feathers from a turkey he killed over twenty-five years ago. Gonna do some laser engraving on the blade when I get it finished.
f1.jpg

Working on my first filet knife also.
f2.jpg
f3.jpg

Last edited:
Back