What's going on in your shop?

I cut my first lock bar last night.

IMG_20160410_231619_zpsgjxwbc0b.jpg

Looking good KDX.
Nice shop Black cat and I like your profiles.

Shop time for me is very little right now, work is busy as heck. But I did start grinding on the big ol chopper today.
cb2ca203e880cf1faab401a533a2e1c1.jpg

Anyone got any recommendation on how high to take the bevel on this 1/4" beast?
Chris Taylor recommend .050 pre HT on the edge thickness but not sure on the bevel height.

If you normally grind before HT, I would go 90-FFG on the Bevel leaving .040-.050 then do the finish work and final edge after HT.

I just spent the last 30-minutes composing a post about this, but the Internet ate it. You can trust that it was witty and humorous, yet informative. I may have likened knifemaking to Russian nesting dolls. It made sense at the time.

Anyway, long-story-short, I’ve been doing some work to improve the accuracy of my milling machine.

A month or so back, I bought an Indicol-style indicator holder from Grizzly for $11. When I got home, I found that it did not fit my machine. Bummer. Apparently most of these are designed to fit the common 1-7/8” spindles of Bridgeport-style machines, and are not big enough to clamp to the 2.29” quill of my Grizzly G0463 (Sieg X3 variant). :(

Rather than give up, I decided to attempt to build a new clamping frame for the holder. The photo below shows some of the steps.

26424373346_007c055947_c.jpg

At upper left, you can see the holder as it came from Grizzly. The black clamp body is way too small to fit my machine.

To build a new body, I first disassembled the holder, scanned the original, then imported the image into AutoCAD at 1:1 scale. I then traced the scanned image, and scaled it as required to fit the quill of my machine. I had to do some tweaking of the mounting-hole layout so the original hardware would still fit and would continue to be centered on the spindle.

At lower left, you can see the ½” aluminum plate that I used for the new clamping body, as well as the scaled CAD design.

Finally, at lower right, you can see the holder reassembled with the new clamping body. I’m pretty stoked with how this turned out.

In the six years since buying this little mill, I had never once taken the time to check it for squareness. One of the main reasons for the new indicator holder was to aid in the measuring and tramming process.

So, last night I did some tramming. I primarily followed the process outlined on Yuriy Krushelnytskiy’s webpage HERE. I can’t say that I got everything dead-nuts… but it is definitely MUCH improved.

25899090204_df242d79b3_c.jpg

Some things I learned:

• My Fowler machinist square is not, in fact, square. It's not even completely FLAT along it's length. I'm glad that Yuriy recommended testing in both directions.
  • Tramming is a bit like voodoo magic.
  • Better is good. Perfect is impossible.

Erin

Nice looking carvex Coach. The red white and blue adds to the theme as well.
I am planning to get some of the plant and stone scales he makes as well as some of the carvex.

Thanks guys. The material is really cool. I think it's going to become a favorite of mine to work with.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I had heard awhile back that Instagram had recently increased the duration limits for videos from 15sec to a full 1-minute. Just for fun, I condensed some iPhone video footage of me machining some linerlock blades down to just under 60sec with the intent of uploading it to my @EFBurkeKnives Instagram account.
... Well, it turns out that IG hasn't completed the roll-out of minute-long videos to all users. Sounds like it could be up to another month before it's available to everyone. What's interesting is that my personal IG account already has access to the longer videos, while my knife account doesn't. {shrug}

Anyway... rather than wait, I just uploaded this to Youtube. It flies by fairly fast, but maybe some of you will find it interesting.

[video=youtube_share;RxYdRVLJzwI]https://youtu.be/RxYdRVLJzwI[/video]

Erin

Back