What's going on in your shop?

Randy - How did you get the coloring effect on your sheath??

BTW: I like the ram's horn scales. Never used it before, just looks like a neat handle material. Stink much??

@Sean Jones I think it would not be worth the time to try and turn those pieces into an anvil. But if I wanted to do it. I would probably plug weld each piece together but that would take a long time to do. Also you need a welder that can handle 1/2 thick steel. I think mine max's out at 3/8" plate
You're right. My little welder wouldn't handle it. I didn't think about that.
I'm sure I'll find other uses for the steel. I've been wanting a bigger anvil, but can't afford one right now.

Randy - How did you get the coloring effect on your sheath??

BTW: I like the ram's horn scales. Never used it before, just looks like a neat handle material. Stink much??
Hi Dennis. I didn't make the sheath. Purchased from Instagrammer joseleather. Honestly, he makes them cheaper that I could purchase the leather for. He's a good guy and if you contact him he'll probably fill you in on it. The sheep's horn didn't smell bad. I took so little off trying to keep as much of the "bark" as I could. I had a big fan running in the shop and that might have helped too.

This is the blade I recently posted with the swedge. I like the look of the swedges quite a bit. I’m going to incorporate that into more of my knives.

I know i’m violating all of John Doyle’s photo advice here LOL. these are just quickie cell phone pics. I’ll take real photos over the weekend.

Attachments

• FF5DEF32-D934-4647-AC0A-D2A26ECC23E7.jpeg
    FF5DEF32-D934-4647-AC0A-D2A26ECC23E7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 57CA52F5-123F-4721-8BF0-1631F9238635.jpeg
    57CA52F5-123F-4721-8BF0-1631F9238635.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • B86D6CCC-04D2-48F3-B852-099FA587ACEE.jpeg
    B86D6CCC-04D2-48F3-B852-099FA587ACEE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 4D272857-87D5-4729-B963-37EB8F6193C0.jpeg
    4D272857-87D5-4729-B963-37EB8F6193C0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
This is the blade I recently posted with the swedge. I like the look of the swedges quite a bit. I’m going to incorporate that into more of my knives.

I know i’m violating all of John Doyle’s photo advice here LOL. these are just quickie cell phone pics. I’ll take real photos over the weekend.
That's a beauty John!! Really like the copper spacer. Nicely done!!

Beautiful work John! I really like the whole package and the way your swedge turned out.

Since I'm in need of a work rest for my grinder I picked up a 2 ft x 3 ft x 1/2 inch road plate.
View attachment 69975
For the work rest I only need a small piece, probably 8 x6. So it got me to wondering what to do with the rest. I figure I could stow it for some future project that needs 1/2 inch steel for...or....

An anvil? I'm throwing this out for thought. What if I cut the rest into 8" x 6" pieces and stack and weld? That would give me a 110 lb stack roughly 9 inches in height. Then I could get a piece of heat treated 4140 for the top plate.

OK I know I'm a cheap bastard. The plate cost me $30.00. But right now I have more time than money.

Am I insane? (Don't answer that) Let's go with crazy. Is this feasible or am I in for more grief than it's worth? I'd probably do this some time this winter, so there's no hurry. I've got plenty of other projects.

(Plus I still have a KITH knife to do. Thus the reason for the work rest)

Awesome, we've got 3/4" road plate where I work, 4' x 8' with keyholes cut in them to put chain links thru. I remember placing them over work holes in the street with a back hoe, that was fun laying them ha ha. I always wanted one to put on an angle for my shooting range back stop. I never asked how much one would cost though. I know dirt's cheaper.

Awesome, we've got 3/4" road plate where I work, 4' x 8' with keyholes cut in them to put chain links thru. I remember placing them over work holes in the street with a back hoe, that was fun laying them ha ha. I always wanted one to put on an angle for my shooting range back stop. I never asked how much one would cost though. I know dirt's cheaper.
New plates are quite expensive. When I initially started looking for 1/2" plate I was quoted $400.00 and up for a 4x8 sheet. When I ran across this piece of used plate I snapped it up.

I can't imagine cutting 3/4" It took me over half an hour to cut a 6x8 inch piece from the 1/2 inch I bought. It's tough stuff.

Cut out a 6 x 8 piece of the road plate for a work rest. I've cleaned it up a bit at this point. Holding about 8 pounds of steel while trying to grind it flat is a bit wearing. Hope I will have time to work on this again tomorrow. I have some left over Duracoat from when I coated my AR that I'm planning on throwing on this to keep it from rusting.

I think the rest of the road plate is going to be relegated to long distance shooting. It's really too heavy for much of anything else.
work rest.jpg

Stunning piece John.

Back