What's going on in your shop?

Yeah, I have some vacuum stuff incoming to try. The fabric like denim and linen is beautifully solid with the 6 ton press. Burlap and carbon fiber seem to need less pressure and more epoxy/better saturation.

I finished this knife. I found out just how difficult it is to etch 15N20. Due to it's high nickel content, the photo positive technique does not work well for etching your logo. It took multiple failures and a final etch period of over an hour to get a decent etch. Then the logo happened to be ever so slightly skew....
This knife is a prototype, so now on to testing it.

Attachments

• 20211101_184244.jpg
    20211101_184244.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20211101_205301_489.jpg
    IMG_20211101_205301_489.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 20
Next up is this 'knife'.
It's a bit tongue in the cheek and meant as a knife to be used on the barbecue (braai). It is one of two pieces of an old sheep shear. The two pieces had separated and is quite old and well used. Not the best material for a full fledged knife, but it takes a good edge and works well for its intended purpose. It is also an interesting conversation piece.
I need to attach one of those palm tree blocks for the handle.

Attachments

• Meyer se braaier mes.jpg
    Meyer se braaier mes.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I finished this knife. I found out just how difficult it is to etch 15N20. Due to it's high nickel content, the photo positive technique does not work well for etching your logo. It took multiple failures and a final etch period of over an hour to get a decent etch. Then the logo happened to be ever so slightly skew....
This knife is a prototype, so now on to testing it.
That is a lovely knife!

So I found out that I must be living right today.

I had the female half of a corby bolt sand through. It was drilled a bit extra deep and I set it a bit shallow. So it popped through a hole. If I ever thought this was gonna work, I woulda took pics of the hole process. Short version is, I was able to drill that bad boy out, drop the counter bore back into it a bit deeper, and put in a new one. I figure the Good Lord threw me a bone cuz I've been a bit behind on the book.
81D90E28-0738-4F13-843E-3DB2CE7AD7EA.jpegC7F151B5-9614-4969-A15D-4AF78AC03E3E.jpeg14C06013-A61A-4123-AE2A-D03D477A4DCB.jpegA6411240-CB82-4FA3-BBFF-5D642212A867.jpeg

Tell us more about the design of that shop, Opaul. I see you live in North Carolina, so I'm wondering why the steep pitch on the roof. I would expect that in heavy snow areas, but not so much down your way. Having seen your knives and your posts, I'm sure a lot of thought went into the design. Love the idea of a sizable cistern for the house.
I see Opaul hasn't responded to your question about the steep roof pitch. While I'm not sure about Opaul's reasoning, here on the Gulf Coast houses have a steep pitch for hurricane winds. A low angle roof acts like an airplane wing with the high wind flowing over the top causes a low pressure on top of roof, causing a lot of lift on the shingles. A steep pitch has the wind actually pressing down on the shingles helping prevent shingles from blowing off.

Back