What's going on in your shop?

I have never spear fished so I thought I should make a spear and try it.
This is 8x8" in 1/4" mild steel I cut on the plasma table.
The handle is 5/8" mild and I welded a huge nut on the end for the rope loop.
I cut a few extra heads and will list them on the web site if you want to make your own.

you would not want to be on the wrong end of this spear.
View attachment 79886
View attachment 79887View attachment 79888View attachment 79889View attachment 79890
Nice. My Grandfather used to spear fish in the Upper Peninsula. Always regretted not going out with him to try it.

I have never spear fished so I thought I should make a spear and try it.
This is 8x8" in 1/4" mild steel I cut on the plasma table.
The handle is 5/8" mild and I welded a huge nut on the end for the rope loop.
I cut a few extra heads and will list them on the web site if you want to make your own.

you would not want to be on the wrong end of this spear.
What in the world are you planning to spear with that? Here on the Gulf Coast we flounder gig, but it doesn't take a spear anything like that!

That being mild steel is there any concern of hitting a rock or something and blunting the point?

What in the world are you planning to spear with that? Here on the Gulf Coast we flounder gig, but it doesn't take a spear anything like that!

That being mild steel is there any concern of hitting a rock or something and blunting the point?

My guess. Northern pike is the target. Google "Dark house spear fishing". Just a guess.

Sturgeon are another fish frequently fished through the ice with a gig. Very popular in Wisconsin, so a possibility in MN, too, I imagine.

I didn't realize that. I read "More than 28,000 Northern pike fish were speared during the 2017-8 season"

I can see why a large heavy spear would be needed with armor plated fish like Sturgeon.

I didn't realize that. I read "More than 28,000 Northern pike fish were speared during the 2017-8 season"

I can see why a large heavy spear would be needed with armor plated fish like Sturgeon.
Yep. Pike. That's about the right size spear for that. Typically Pike here are speared mid to high in the water column and the spear doesn't hit the bottom often....hopefully never.

how long is the handle for a spear like this? I'll bet the spear has to have a good bit of force behind it to spear the fish in open water. I watched a couple of YT videos and see how it's done. Looks like a LOT of fun.

Flounder fish are laying on the bottom so the water isn't very deep, and you're driving the spear thru the fish into the bottom. All my floundering has been while wading so the water usually isn't much more than knee deep. Some folks flounder from a boat and can spear in deeper water if it's nice 'n clear.

Last edited:
how long is the handle for a spear like this? I'll bet the spear has to have a good bit of force behind it to spear the fish in open water. I watched a couple of YT videos and see how it's done. Looks like a LOT of fun.

Flounder fish are laying on the bottom so the water isn't very deep, and you're driving the spear thru the fish into the bottom. All my floundering has been while wading so the water usually isn't much more than knee deep. Some folks flounder from a boat and can spear in deeper water if it's nice 'n clear.
Handles are usually 4 feet long to 7 feet long, but 7 feet is very long and unwieldy in a shanty and not common around here. Usually they're used with a wrist lanyard or cord.

As a kid, I was always fascinated by the fish "decoys" my grandfather used for spear fishing. Guess the point was to lure the bigger fish to the hole.

As knife makers we get excited about the strangest things... For me, it's this custom hardened steel (A2 @ 62hrc) wheel for my reeder SGA :)

i-87bCk2W-L.jpg

In anticipation of getting my shop finished and sorting out equipment locations I saw this at Home Depot this morning. The table can be cranked to different heights- not that would always be necessary- but it looks like a solid table and a plus it has rollers so I can take it outside. This will be for my 2x72 grinder.

Attachments

• 0DAECDA8-7539-4AEE-B604-F4D7B84F1E03.jpeg
    0DAECDA8-7539-4AEE-B604-F4D7B84F1E03.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 8
In anticipation of getting my shop finished and sorting out equipment locations I saw this at Home Depot this morning. The table can be cranked to different heights- not that would always be necessary- but it looks like a solid table and a plus it has rollers so I can take it outside. This will be for my 2x72 grinder.
That's a NICE looking table. Got me thinking "How can I use it"?

As knife makers we get excited about the strangest things... For me, it's this custom hardened steel (A2 @ 62hrc) wheel for my reeder SGA :)

That should be really nice for final finish. I sorta like a covered wheel for heavy cuts, but for final finish it should work really good.

Back