What's going on in your shop?

In anticipation of getting my shop finished and sorting out equipment locations I saw this at Home Depot this morning. The table can be cranked to different heights- not that would always be necessary- but it looks like a solid table and a plus it has rollers so I can take it outside. This will be for my 2x72 grinder.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Make sure it will go through the door after you mount the grinder on the table.

It's alive!

Just got this Saturday and was finally able to run some test coupons today on the knife for the KITH. Test coupons are 1084 stock .160 thick.
The first test I tried to run at Larrin's recommendations from his book (1475 F for 10 minutes) except when I put the test coupon in at 1475 I expected the temp to drop. Instead it kept climbing to over 1500 in a matter of minutes. So I lessened the time to 8 minutes and quenched in AAA at room temp (forgot to heat it up).

Very grainy and my second test coupon was even worse.

Anyone who has one of these I'd appreciate any input you might have.

Behold my new hardened A2 wheel for my SGA!

i-bGSKsXz-X3.jpg

It's alive!

Just got this Saturday and was finally able to run some test coupons today on the knife for the KITH. Test coupons are 1084 stock .160 thick.
The first test I tried to run at Larrin's recommendations from his book (1475 F for 10 minutes) except when I put the test coupon in at 1475 I expected the temp to drop. Instead it kept climbing to over 1500 in a matter of minutes. So I lessened the time to 8 minutes and quenched in AAA at room temp (forgot to heat it up).

How are you measuring temperature? Also, AAA is not the best oil for 1084.

How are you measuring temperature? Also, AAA is not the best oil for 1084.
I have a temperature probe from Ed Caffrey's website. Unfortunately AAA is all I have right now.

The information I had at the time I purchased AAA is that it was the correct oil for 1084. Since then I've read multiple recommendations to use Parks 50. I'll purchase Parks 50 eventually. Right now I'm already way over my budget.

Last edited:
I have a temperature probe from Ed Caffrey's website. Unfortunately AAA is all I have right now.
I have an Atlas mini also. I’d recommend warm canola oil. Use a magnet and watch the color. Should be a shade brighter than when it turns non magnetic- kinda cherry red. I pump it in and out to keep the heat even. Kevin Cashen’s video on 1080/1084 is an awesome resource for this steel.

The information I had at the time I purchased AAA is that it was the correct oil for 1084. Since then I've read multiple recommendations to use Parks 50. I'll purchase Parks 50 eventually. Right now I'm already way over my budget.
I understand. Hope I didn't sound like I was hashing you. I'm not sure if that contributed to your grain issues or not.

Yeah so monitor your temp as best you can. Try not to overheat.

80CrV2 would be a good steel for that oil you have and it's a pretty great steel. Cheaper to switch that than your oil.

I understand. Hope I didn't sound like I was hashing you. I'm not sure if that contributed to your grain issues or not.

Yeah so monitor your temp as best you can. Try not to overheat.

80CrV2 would be a good steel for that oil you have and it's a pretty great steel. Cheaper to switch that than your oil.
Thanks for the feedback John. I've only a little bit of 1084 left So for future projects I'll switch to 80CrV2. I've heard good things about it. And as you say it's cheaper than switching oils.

It's alive!

Purchase a high temp meter and probe and get a good regulator. You have to continue to monitor and make very fine adjustments. It can be done. I'll post a coupon pic when I get home...

Here is what I'm talking about.

I have an Atlas mini also. I’d recommend warm canola oil. Use a magnet and watch the color. Should be a shade brighter than when it turns non magnetic- kinda cherry red. I pump it in and out to keep the heat even. Kevin Cashen’s video on 1080/1084 is an awesome resource for this steel.

I also used Canola oil with 1084 and the forge.

It's alive!

Found my pic on Facebook...

240769442_10208794031524413_2339677621240647159_n.jpg

Purchase a high temp meter and probe and get a good regulator. You have to continue to monitor and make very fine adjustments. It can be done. I'll post a coupon pic when I get home...

Here is what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the information CD. That's virtually identical to the temp probe I have. And I assume you are talking about the regulator for the propane tank? If so, I'm using the one that came with the forge. I've got it dialed down as low as it will go without sputtering. And I had better luck today. Here's my most recent heat treat coupon. Looking better but still not as good as I like but much better.

Thanks for the information CD. That's virtually identical to the temp probe I have. And I assume you are talking about the regulator for the propane tank? If so, I'm using the one that came with the forge. I've got it dialed down as low as it will go without sputtering. And I had better luck today. Here's my most recent heat treat coupon. Looking better but still not as good as I like but much better.

That looks better for sure. I had sputtering issues when my propane tank wasn't very full. I also found the forge worked better when I was in the garage with no wind or anything blowing on it.

It's really trial and error. I know I had to stand at the forge and constantly monitor the temps and keep adjusting to get a good heat treat.

I have a Paragon oven now, so no more of that for me.

Carbon steel, copper, and Giraffe bone. Next up is a frontier style sheath for it.

Attachments

• 1021BFC4-E56F-4AB8-A5AC-0204067CF736.jpeg
    1021BFC4-E56F-4AB8-A5AC-0204067CF736.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 22
  • 57DB41FE-3AE4-4357-B97C-C7DEA57E6976.jpeg
    57DB41FE-3AE4-4357-B97C-C7DEA57E6976.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 6ED378CB-5B99-4673-AE10-4F36BB587064.jpeg
    6ED378CB-5B99-4673-AE10-4F36BB587064.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 1541D34E-1DE1-4C73-AFDD-24563CBCED26.jpeg
    1541D34E-1DE1-4C73-AFDD-24563CBCED26.jpeg