What's going on in your shop?

Here is the drop point I've been working on after I dipped the blade in 50/50 Ferric Chloride and distilled water for five minutes. I'd say there's definitely Hamon activity but kind of blotchy. After dipping I went over it with 220 grit again. I'll keep going and see how this turns out at about 800 grit.

Hey Sean, what steel are you using. I'm not seeing a lot of hamon activity in that blade, in fact it looks more like heat treat scale.
Can you share the process you used.
EDIT - I went back to see you used 1075. That should have produced a good hamon. Before I got my heat treat oven it was always a toss up for hamon using my forge.

Hey Sean, what steel are you using. I'm not seeing a lot of hamon activity in that blade, in fact it looks more like heat treat scale.
Can you share the process you used.
EDIT - I went back to see you used 1075. That should have produced a good hamon. Before I got my heat treat oven it was always a toss up for hamon using my forge.
It's 1075. Since you point that out, I'm not entirely sure now. However I've sanded it down quite a bit with 220 grit. And I would think that any scale would come off when I put it in the Ferric Chloride? This is my first try at a Hamon so maybe I'm totally off base.

I need to even up the grind on both sides. Maybe when I do that something will be more apparent one way or the other. I did heat treat it in my Atlas forge and then used AAA oil. That's all I have for now. This is one of the reasons that I either need a heat treat oven, or need to send my knives out to be heat treated.

Thanks for the input

It's 1075. Since you point that out, I'm not entirely sure now. However I've sanded it down quite a bit with 220 grit. And I would think that any scale would come off when I put it in the Ferric Chloride? This is my first try at a Hamon so maybe I'm totally off base.

I need to even up the grind on both sides. Maybe when I do that something will be more apparent one way or the other. I did heat treat it in my Atlas forge and then used AAA oil. That's all I have for now. This is one of the reasons that I either need a heat treat oven, or need to send my knives out to be heat treated.

Thanks for the input
I thought it looked like some decarb on there too. It can be pretty thick. Last one I did I took about .005 off each side to get to “good” steel.

Finished the new clamshell ribbon burner forge for the shop...

And now that that's finished...my first completed knife in over a year... 8" crushed-w's chef's knife for my brother
B9FwtJI.jpg

Back