What's going on in your shop?

Just finished up. 1075, hamon, Siberian elm burl, elk antler, stainless guard, dragon skin stamped sheath.

IMG-9480.jpg

Start your own thread on the press build - we'd LOVE to watch as the project progresses.
Sure thing. Already done all the fab work on the press but still need to rig up hydraulics. Didn’t get as many WIP pics as I meant. Time is short these days. Lol

Just finished up. 1075, hamon, Siberian elm burl, elk antler, stainless guard, dragon skin stamped sheath.

IMG-9480.jpg
Outstanding hamon - the knife really looks good. As usual your leather work is outstanding also. That's not basketweave, and it looks really deep. Tell us more about it.

Outstanding hamon - the knife really looks good. As usual your leather work is outstanding also. That's not basketweave, and it looks really deep. Tell us more about it.

KenH - the stamping is a combination of three stamps. All I did was mark the area with a scribe. Used a 1/2 inch square stimple stamp one the entire area. Then used the U shaped stamp on alternate layers to create the skin look. Then bordered with the small camoflauge stamp. The stamping looks deeper because of the topping used. Lighter on the flats and darker in the stamping.

I am not at home or I would show pics of the stamps I used.

Dennis

B9ACD2E5-386E-4A65-89BA-C4AF943D1376.jpeg
Finally finished this one. If you look at this and think, “Nate, that looks like it was a pain in the ass to grind”, you would be correct. Really cool concept that worked out perfect. I wanted to make a blade that was stiff, lightweight, and had well defined plunges and stuff so it would have a big visual impact, and a thick spine so it was comfortable on the finger too. I managed to achieve that. 246 grams, just a hair over 10” blade, and it balances in every direction 3/4” in front of the handle directly on the hamon. I’m going to do this grind on all my large chefs knives. It takes a long time to do but I just love it.

Attachments

• CDB89640-8B9F-4E6E-9193-94285F5AD694.jpeg
    CDB89640-8B9F-4E6E-9193-94285F5AD694.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 0CB0E405-77A1-4650-BDE2-94CAAF43637E.jpeg
    0CB0E405-77A1-4650-BDE2-94CAAF43637E.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 070123AD-A3B0-43AB-BE03-05824018B477.jpeg
    070123AD-A3B0-43AB-BE03-05824018B477.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 83600
Finally finished this one. If you look at this and think, “Nate, that looks like it was a pain in the ass to grind”, you would be correct. Really cool concept that worked out perfect. I wanted to make a blade that was stiff, lightweight, and had well defined plunges and stuff so it would have a big visual impact, and a thick spine so it was comfortable on the finger too. I managed to achieve that. 246 grams, just a hair over 10” blade, and it balances in every direction 3/4” in front of the handle directly on the hamon. I’m going to do this grind on all my large chefs knives. It takes a long time to do but I just love it.
Beautiful work!

20231008_165231(0).jpg

Made this little guy. Its one of my tuna bleeder blades, but I did a stubby full tang handle on it instead of a hidden tang. Its a chisel ground nitro V blade designed for bleeding tuna out by piercing the lateral blood line just under the pectoral fin. Males a cute little utility blade too! Handle is natural g10 with blue aluminum twill on the handle side, which gives it the blue hue. Yeah, the front pin is too close to the front of the handle!

View attachment 83605
Just got the plunges into this 7” nakiri. It’s weird how knives go from “just a little more” to “oh my god what did I do” so quickly. Made it through the OMG stage, now it’s smooth sailing.

That looks amazing, still have no clue how you manage that! Reminds me somewhat of JB Blades knives where he carves veins in them! Check out this piece... You can see the carving he does, similar to yours just more involved I suppose. Yours looks killer though on that one you finished recently!

i-WWJ8FsR.png

Back