When to Correct Warp?

Thats good info Wick ! Thanks for sharing it. I always forget about the ATP and I've got some on the shelf.

This thread's giving me some good ideas in several different areas... Thanks guys !

-Josh

Yeah, this has been a good discussion. I'm just assuming I'm going to have warped blades and preparing beforehand how to deal with it. I think I'll have some pieces of angle iron in the vise when I quench and be ready to tweak the tang if needed. Looking forward to my experiments. Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. You're great.

Happy days guys! I heat treated two tantos and a copy of a Randall mini Model 1 yesterday and only one came out with any sort of warp at all, and that was minor. I clamped it up in my three point vice getup (didn't have any angle iron, or I'd have tried that) right out of the quench while it was still smoking. Bent it a little against the warp and then held it straight until it came to about hand temp. Worked like a charm. I didn't break it! Woo Hoo! Now I have three nice blades to work on, ain't that sweet? Thanks a million for all your ideas and support. I couldn't be a knife maker without help like this. You're all the best.

Edit: One thing I should add is that the thermostat on my oil heater has lost a little temp. I quenched at about 120 yesterday, which gave me a little pucker. But it came out okay. I need to crank that up though for the next go round.

You don't need to crank it up very much. 130° is about ideal for 01.

Thanks guys. :)

LRB, how the hell do you make the "degrees" symbol? That's cool. And thanks for the guidance, I've always quenched at 140, but I'll stick to 130 from here on out. The low temp didn't seem to hurt anything this time, which was good.

Back