Where to buy hollow grind sanding blocks?

P J 234

I would swear some time ago I saw where hollow grind hand sanding blocks in various radii were available for purchase, but I can't seem to find them searching via Google, a few knife supply houses, or on forums. Does anyone happen to know if/where they are available for purchase?

Thanks in advance!

I made my own,Very easy to do
They are made of 2" hardwood. One 8" and One 10". I use Spray on contact cement and stick wet and dry on them. They seam to work OK for me and didn't cost a bunch
002-26.jpg

003-22.jpg

005-20.jpg

Hmm, I checked AKS and managed to miss them there somehow.

Those are even more expensive than I remembered, so I guess I will think about making one. How do you get a perfectly matching radius on them like that?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

Paul.

Hold your block material up against the side of your contact wheel and trace the wheel on it.

Grind it carefully to the line.

-Josh

Take some lexan or thicker plexi and heat it up with your heat gun - once it is malleable, hold it up against your wheel until it cools. I have a couple of these that I put 3-ounce leather over and they work great for handrubbin'.

Another thing that you could do is get some soft polishing stones, the type that machinists and tool and die makers use. The soft stones will quickly adjust themselves to the shape of the work. The semi-hard and hard stones can be used in place of sand paper. I got the ones I have from Congress Tools.

Doug Lester

I've made my own blocks to match the three wheels on my Square Wheel plus a flat one. All are wood, lignum I believe (it's been a very long time!). All have leather epoxied to the faces. The leather acts gives just a little so that the blocks "fit" better. I've had to replace the leather a couple of times. Just grind it off and epoxy a new one on.

I haven't seen any blocks except those sold through Alpha Knife Supply.

David

Back