Who is using a HF Metal cutting bandsaw?

I have a 25 year old HF horizontal bandsaw. The heaviest they had at the time. It cuts, and cuts, and cuts...It was my main saw in my little contract machine shop for 20 yrs. Traded it from a friend who just had to have my dilapidated Wells ( American made) saw. One of the best trades I ever made...

I had made myself a larger table for vertical mode (a must) which one of the budding knife makers that I let use the shop lost. His dad made a much cruder replacement...but I now cut my blades out on my CNC mill...so i'm not grinding my teeth...much.

buy a good bi-metal blade...and rock n roll!

I think part of the answer should be dependent on exactly what you are planning on cutting.
Cutting pieces off of longer stock (longer than a foot or two) is really tough to do on a PortaBand.
Cutting small pieces that you can hold in your hand is tough to do on a horizontal band saw (when not set up vertically and with a table).
Cutting thick stock (say 2" round if you were making a hammer) can be done by both, but if the piece is long, it'll be harder to control on a PortaBand and gets heavy quick. Also, I'd rather put it on the horizontal saw, turn it on and walk away to do something else during the 2-3 minutes it takes to make the cut.
Having both allows you to use the right tool for the job.

I started with a foreign 4 by 6 after 19 years the gear box went. I got a Fox on sale and love it. 1/4 inch 8 by 12 table made for it. I have had this one 16 years and still going strong.

Here's a pro tip. (Not a pro knife maker but I have been in the metal working business for 20 years.)

Stick lube. I'll describe it like a wax. You just stick it to your blade while it's running and load it up. Helps with heat and blade life tremendously.
B02F743E-DB61-446D-80C3-2C71A80D63CF.jpeg

Back