Why not a traditional Butcher's knife?

DonL

I need to start off by saying that I'm not a Kitchen Knife guru. I don't know all the names of the Super Cool Jap knives are or what each is used for. I grew up out in the country so to speak and probably never saw a "real" Chef knife until I was grown and out on my own.

My question is, why don't we see more of what I call the traditional butchers knives? I process all of my big game every year and I find that I'll pick up and use a Old Hickory style 7" knife and a 5" boning knife for most of my work.

Even when I cut up vegies, I prefer a slimmer knife such a boning blade. Why are the high Chef/Cooks knives preferred by most Pro's?

Okay, that's really two questions, but I've been wondering about both for a long time. Thought some of you may be able to shed some light and school me on Kitchen Knives.

I know of a couple makers/knife companies who will be coming out with traditional style butcher knives this year.
There is a desire for them. Don't be surprised when you start seeing slightly upscale versions appearing throughout 2013.

I need to start off by saying that I'm not a Kitchen Knife guru. I don't know all the names of the Super Cool Jap knives are or what each is used for. I grew up out in the country so to speak and probably never saw a "real" Chef knife until I was grown and out on my own.

My question is, why don't we see more of what I call the traditional butchers knives? I process all of my big game every year and I find that I'll pick up and use a Old Hickory style 7" knife and a 5" boning knife for most of my work.

Even when I cut up vegies, I prefer a slimmer knife such a boning blade. Why are the high Chef/Cooks knives preferred by most Pro's?

Okay, that's really two questions, but I've been wondering about both for a long time. Thought some of you may be able to shed some light and school me on Kitchen Knives.

Well to answer part of your question. The Japanese & what you are calling High end Chef knives are mostly for prepping vegetables in thin slices for cooking and the display part of cuisine. if you chopped Veggies for several hours a day you would quickly see the benefit of these blade patterns. The height of the blade allows you to work off of your second knuckle of your off hand making work safer & faster.

For the second part of your question,

besides my Chef knives I make a 5' boning knife and 7 & 10" meat slicer & carving knife & carving sets along with what ever any one wants to order. The main reason for the change in cutlery that you are referring to is the change in the American diet from Canned & frozen Vegetables and Hamburger's & Steak etc to more fresh veggies and Fish & Fowl.

As Mark said. There is a bit of a resurgence of BBQ, Steak House, Chop House etc type eatery's and home cooking.
So the tide ebb's and flows!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks guys! I've been kicking around the idea of making some boning knives. I might also give a shot toward a butchers knife to see if there are any interest. The worse that could happen is that I end up with another Kitchen knife! :)

Well, I made this back before this forum got started. Still use it too.

It's 3/32 A2 with a Tulipwood handle.

It's also the inspiration for my entry in the NT KITH...

Attachments

• IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 33
What is it about the thinner blade that you prefer?

If you'll excuse me speculating quite often it's because they have less resistance when cutting compared with wider knives that are more prone to wedging and/or stiction. This is due in part to the cheap mass market knives that have been built to withstand a lot of abuse without breaking, and to be easily mass producible cheaply, leading to a reduction in cutting performance.

Another factor is release of whatever you're cutting from the side of the blade. Again something where poorly ground knives suffer, hence a preference for knives with less blade height to reduce this problem.

A well ground chef knife performs completely differently to what most people are used to.

For any butchery I do prefer a western shaped boning knife over the Japanese style honesuki and hankotsu styles, though still not sure if it's due to experience or inherent differences in the knives. The popularity of butchery knives may also be linked to the number of people doing any butchery at home, which has dwindled in the UK due to the availability of pre packed meats in the supermarkets.

OMG Dan that is freakin awesome! I have about 50 old butcher knives and use a few. Started modifying a couple of the broken ones so they can play again. Dan, my favorite knife is still the Nessmuk you sent me for the KITH a few years back. That butcher would work well with it.

Back