Why the heck does this keep happening to me

Lerch

A while back i posted a question about having 72" belts rolling up on themselves after some usage. The general consensus was that with the humidity in my area (OK) and the fact that i had left some of these belts on my grinder overnight a time or two were the causes. Also the only belts it has happened to were Norton Blaze 120grit belts

Well since that post i have not left a belt on my grinder (Bader grinder) for any more than the time im using it. Since then i have had 5 Norton blaze 120grit belts do the exact same thing even after just one use!! This doesnt happen with any other belts of mine, even other Norton blaze belts of different grits. The only other belt i am seeing anything like this with is a 220 grit norton belt i have used alot. On the 120 grit belts after one or two uses they are so warped i can barely straighten them and if i do then they dont sit right on my wheels and walk off to one side when i start up the grinder.

does anyone have any similiar problems like this? i guess i am just done with Norton belts

thanks
steve

I have found,with the higher grits,and the South Ms. humidity,is to hang them across 2 pegs,one at each end.
Some,for me at least,are going to twist a little reguardless.I have excepted that,as being,
''the nature of the beast''.
Good luck

God bless,Keith

One thing Ive done is to cut pieces of heavy cardboard rolls (I think carpert pad was on this one) cut it into 4" sections and lay it in the bottom curve of the belt while its hanging. Seems to provide just enough tension to keep them straight. If it needs more, put a piece of steel inside the roll.

God Bless
Mike

I haven't had any trouble with the Blaze belts curling up, but I do have trouble with the Norax ones looking like curly fries during the high humidity we have here in Ohio during the summer. I like the idea of putting something in the bottom curve to keep them just taught enough to not curl. I have noticed that if I leave a belt on the grinder over night that it will "wobble" back and forth the next time I use it like it's stretched on one side. I am attributing this to belt tension. I have tried to reduce the belt tension, but then the belt drifts to one side or the other during grinding. Increase the belt tension and it tracks fine. I guess that is just the tension setting my grinder likes.

I have also found that misaligned grinder wheels will stretch belts on one side trying to adjust tracking to compensate, this will cause your belts to curl and have problems with alignment. Just a thought?
Clint

I have also found that misaligned grinder wheels will stretch belts on one side trying to adjust tracking to compensate, this will cause your belts to curl and have problems with alignment. Just a thought?
Clint

+1

I had the issue Clint mentioned with a 2x42 grinder. After a tuneup, it stopped.

Back