Will this work

ACLakey

Will this motor work well for a 2x72 Grinder build?

1601afbc61d155dd5bc1ccada9099730.jpg

5fc71f360400fc5ace772eb646351bcb.jpg

I say yes. It's totally enclosed, fan cooled, should be fine. It won't be a power house or variable speed, but it would make knives.

I'm struggling with a craftsman 2x42 now. Thanks for the input, I'm going to hold off for more ponies.

My opinion doesn't carry much weight probably, I'm still new at this. But, just wanted to point out my grinder has a 1hp motor and it does just fine. Mine's 3 phase running on a VFD, but 1hp is 1hp. I really don't feel I'm missing any power.

One thing that was pointed out on another forum, that I overlooked the first time, is that this appears to be a 143T frame size, which means it has a 7/8" shaft. Drive wheels commonly only come in 5/8" or 3/4", though you could always make your own or have somebody bore one out for you if you don't have a lathe.

1HP can certainly work in many applications, but if you start adding in belts and pulleys long flat platens and big contact weeks, it's easy to suck a lot of that 1HP up pretty quick for friction. Sharp belts and a light touch do go a long way, but if you want to really hog material, you'll probably find it lacking.

Take a look at any local motor repair/rewind shops, craigslist, ebay etc... and deals will pop up from time to time. You can also get a brand new chinese motor from places like Automation Direct for about 100 bucks single phase, or a little more for 3 phase.

For about $250 to $300 you could get a chinese VFD (open frame, will need filters and/or an enclosure to protect from dust) and 3 phase motor and have a functional variable speed set up. Could last for decades or blow up in a week though... hard to say. ;)

Back