WIP: Full Featured 2x72 for under $1500?!? Housemade Gen 4 Revolution Kit Build

Just a little update. I smoked my chinesium VFD, so I upgraded to a KBDA-27D. I also disassembled everything and gave everything a protective coating of paint. Reassembled everything and put on a new adjustable height work table. I really dig it.

772618BE-32CA-4C8D-B60D-D3EE5E815CF1.jpeg

9465A7C5-BEA8-4498-963A-31778CDBAD99.jpeg

Just a little update. I smoked my chinesium VFD, so I upgraded to a KBDA-27D. I also disassembled everything and gave everything a protective coating of paint. Reassembled everything and put on a new adjustable height work table. I really dig it.

772618BE-32CA-4C8D-B60D-D3EE5E815CF1.jpeg

9465A7C5-BEA8-4498-963A-31778CDBAD99.jpeg
You've sure got that grinder looking good. I enjoy building stuff almost as much as making knives.

BTW, what happened that "smoked" the Chinese VFD? Did the internals short out?

Allow me to make another comment on how well that grinder is turning out.

You've sure got that grinder looking good. I enjoy building stuff almost as much as making knives.

BTW, what happened that "smoked" the Chinese VFD? Did the internals short out?

Allow me to make another comment on how well that grinder is turning out.
Thank you, Ken. Like you, I seem to spend more time on “shop improvements” than making blades, but it’s all in the spirit of making more blades better!

The Chinese VFD must’ve shorted internally. A bright flash and accompanying “POP” came from inside while running at 80% doing some simple profiling. Tripped both my sub panel & main breakers. No continuity. I returned it under warranty for a refund and ordered the KBDA. I doubt I had over 6 hours of combined run time on it.

Tripped both my sub panel & main breakers.
Shucks, I think I remember us talking (writing?) about that before. Sorry for my CRS problem. CRS is usually blamed on age, but I've had it all my life. When I was 19 or so and dating my wife I went to pick her up one evening, knocked on door. Her Mom comes to door and I say "Is.... huh.... your daughter home?" Darn couldn't remember name.

I’m now outside the original scope of my thread, but I think this is a worthy & important addition. I have a Jet 1100 canister dust collector for my shop. I used it with a temporary hookup to my 2x42 grinder I was using before building this one. It makes a significant difference in the amount of airborne dust generated during grinding, and this is 10x true for handle materials.

An old trash can left from the previous owner of my home, 3x 5’ sections of 4” galvanized duct, a few plastic Dustright connections lined with metallic duct tape, a few sheet metal duct terminations, two blast gates, and some silicone sealant. This makes a permanent rigid dust collection system for the grinder. The trash can acts as a high volume collection vessel for most metal dust and heavier particles, with enough volume to allow gravity to overcome the vast majority of particles from going up the suction, preventing premature wear on the impeller & collector unit parts. Wood, Micarta, G10, etc dust will most likely go all the way through, and that’s good for me and my shop.

DA374A9C-9CBF-4073-9CEE-BD35644D8143.jpeg

36DF8CAE-3524-4DC7-985C-662DE25670DB.jpeg

15D244B9-FA2B-4B34-9D85-95E23F4802D1.jpeg

Back