Wip

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
D2 Drop Point hunter (roughly 10 inch) for brother in law. Handle will be three piece... walnut burl then padauk then walnut burl. I will keep posting updates as they come. Please stop me at any point where this thing starts to look stupid. I still have not FULLY completed a knife lol, but I need to finish this one by Father's Day. I have to take this one seriously as it is a commission piece LOL...$50 .... so it better be right. Thanks for looking!

865e125314396c918143b715209d5d25.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When using lithos type of spacer material, should I epoxy the "card stock" first, the let dry or should I epoxy everything together at once???

7754f583e00fd51035fed8ee30ffe901.jpg

I would epoxy to the card stock first. Then attach to the handle. Make sure to use a flat surface when you attach to card stock. It will help you with handle attachment later.

Better yet, would be to use perhaps a stiffer backer/liner like G10, or even brass or copper.

Also, when you attach multiple pieces of handle material together, it is difficult to get a good tight connection. You may want to consider using a mitered joint.

Looking good so far, keep moving forward.

DeMo

I would epoxy to the card stock first. Then attach to the handle. Make sure to use a flat surface when you attach to card stock. It will help you with handle attachment later.

Better yet, would be to use perhaps a stiffer backer/liner like G10, or even brass or copper.

Also, when you attach multiple pieces of handle material together, it is difficult to get a good tight connection. You may want to consider using a mitered joint.

Looking good so far, keep moving forward.

DeMo

Thanks! I epoxied it first and then stuck it together. I will post a pic when i get a chance to sand it down a bit. I want to use metal spacers, but I haven't gotten a chance to yet. But I've got vacation coming up!!!

Can someone please help me fix this mess? I need design help ... it's just ugly

761272a62be4a1408ee99a414012be59.jpg
6d450ff376dc2a9c6e6c44492236db98.jpg

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to contour the handle thin the spine and so on... and of course the blade isn't done but I just don't like the overall shape

Thanks! My sister is going to give it to my bro in law for Father's Day for skinning, deboning meat, camp chores and such.

Last edited:
This piece has a nice classic look and for your first piece it looks like it's coming along well. It is a great all around EDC style.

If anything, I'd just suggest to smooth out the curves in the profile to have a clean radius for each section. The forefinger grip section is nice. I have a design I'll be working on soon with a similar idea. Oh, and take your time and enjoy yourself in the process. If you get too rushed you might make a mistake you can't come back from.

Looking forward to see the progression.

Thanks! I cracked the darn handle and got distracted by another piece, which I ruined today:35:. So this one will make a comeback.

This piece has a nice classic look and for your first piece it looks like it's coming along well. It is a great all around EDC style.

If anything, I'd just suggest to smooth out the curves in the profile to have a clean radius for each section. The forefinger grip section is nice. I have a design I'll be working on soon with a similar idea. Oh, and take your time and enjoy yourself in the process. If you get too rushed you might make a mistake you can't come back from.

Looking forward to see the progression.

Back