Wood finish

Gliden07

What's everybody using to finish wood off for a topcoat? The stuff I had dried up so I chucked it! I can't remember the name of it! It worked good but I had to put like 10 coats on! This is going to go on some stabilized Maple. So it's more for looks than anything! I prefer something in a semi-gloss! Thanks!!

i use tru-oil... I put it on very light and do multiple coats, but it does a good job
Yeah thats what I've been using! I like the finish but a week to finish off the scales is gotten nuts! I was looking for something I could put on once or twice and be done!

I use a tru-oil/armour-all finish. Each coat dries in about 15 mins and I generally do about 20 coats. It's a finish that was adapted from gunstocks (Woodstock's elixir). It gives a nice shiney and hard finish.

I use a tru-oil/armour-all finish. Each coat dries in about 15 mins and I generally do about 20 coats. It's a finish that was adapted from gunstocks (Woodstock's elixir). It gives a nice shiney and hard finish.
So you mix Tru-Oil and Armour Oil? If that's the case what's the ratio? Thanks!

So you mix Tru-Oil and Armour Oil? If that's the case what's the ratio? Thanks!
Well you "mix" it on the handle. I put a few drops of armor all on both sides of the handle, just enough to get it wet. Then using a T-shirt I dip a finger tip into the tru-oil and then rub that on the handle. It will turn a white'ish color once mixed. Then I generally rub that in a single direction blade to butt until it has a thin coat and just looks wet. I usually give it 5-10 minutes between coats.

After a few coats you can give it a good wipe to clear up any streaks. After about 10 coats, I'll let it sit over night and then hit it will some 000 steel wool. I keep repeating this process until the handle has a shiny overall appearance. For the last few coats, sometimes I'll just use straight tru-oil but a thin coat. It generally works out to be about 20 coats.

Then give it a day or two to fully dry and harden. Then just give it another good wipe down. I don't buff the handles as the shine from this is good enough. I use this same process on ironwood, blackwood, rosewood, cocobolo, maple, etc. It's not 100% necessary for all of those wood types but the protection it gives the handle is worth it to me.

I'm looking into other options for G-carta to not change the bright colors that come with that product.

In my opinion the easiest finish is CA Glue. Sand the handle to 600 grit. One coat at a time (I put it on with a little piece of paper towell), dries in 3 min, 800 grit paper between coats, 5 to 8 coats does it. Buff it for high gloss or buff it and 0000 steel wool for a matt finish. The more coats you use the deeper ooking the finish.

Wallace

Well you "mix" it on the handle. I put a few drops of armor all on both sides of the handle, just enough to get it wet. Then using a T-shirt I dip a finger tip into the tru-oil and then rub that on the handle. It will turn a white'ish color once mixed. Then I generally rub that in a single direction blade to butt until it has a thin coat and just looks wet. I usually give it 5-10 minutes between coats.

After a few coats you can give it a good wipe to clear up any streaks. After about 10 coats, I'll let it sit over night and then hit it will some 000 steel wool. I keep repeating this process until the handle has a shiny overall appearance. For the last few coats, sometimes I'll just use straight tru-oil but a thin coat. It generally works out to be about 20 coats.

Then give it a day or two to fully dry and harden. Then just give it another good wipe down. I don't buff the handles as the shine from this is good enough. I use this same process on ironwood, blackwood, rosewood, cocobolo, maple, etc. It's not 100% necessary for all of those wood types but the protection it gives the handle is worth it to me.
I do want to try this at some point.

I use Tru Oil, but have not used Armour All with it. Do you mind sharing you process? Also what is the difference with, and without the Armour All?

I use Tru Oil, but have not used Armour All with it. Do you mind sharing you process? Also what is the difference with, and without the Armour All?
Scroll up a few posts and you'll see the process that I follow.

The biggest difference is the speed at which it dries. Just using tru-oil is a slow drying process. With normal use of tru-oil if you don't wait until it has fully dried or if you put on too thick of a coat it will get gummy and generally has to be removed. The addition of Armor all speeds up the drying process so you can do a new coat in about 15 mins rather than overnight.

I believe this all started with what is called "Woodstock's Elixir" and was used on gunstocks.

Back