Wood scale finish?

J

jstalljon

I picked up several pieces of varying stabilized hardwood on Ebay.

What type of finish do you guys like to use on woods like cocobola, purple heart, leopardwood, etc.

I've tried the super glue method on scrap pieces with mixed results. I also tried a polishing compound, but a lot of the small voids in the wood filled with the compound and would not buff out.

I used tung oil on this last knife, but wanted something with a lot of shean and durability to the elements.

I've heard white rouge, but again....worry about any tiny voids filling with the material and not coming out right.

Any help is appreciated.

I've used super glue on porous woods and small voids with success. Make sure you let it dry naturally before sanding.

I use super glue to cover the piece, sanded it smooth with 220 grit (repeat to fill any deeper voids), went to 400, then buffed it with white compound and got a pretty glassy finish. I've also just straight buffed stabilized woods with no issues, and nice results, but there weren't any voids in the wood.

Be carefull with stabilized woods off Ebay, the quality could very well be questionable. At least find out how they do their process. Personally I would stick with professionally stabilized wood from places like K&G Knifeworks or AKS Knifemaking Supplies. As far as non-stabilized woods go you will just have to learn your individual woods. Some need their grain sealed, some don't. Some don't need anything but a good sanding out to about 600-800 grit and then buffed.

Doug Lester

Do you guys use off-the-shelf stuff from the hardware store or is there a specific brand or viscosity recommended for a superglue finish? I see Rockler has thin, medium, and thick viscosities and I've got a 15% off coupon for this weekend.

Back