Works Rests, Platens and Chillers Sale!

Contender Machine

Dealer - Purveyor
I’ve posted this else where just trying to continue to spread the word to members of this forum.

I am excited to announce a sale on all my knifemaking tools!
Now through Monday November 29th if you order off my website https://contenderworks.com/ and spend $100+ use the code Sharp15 to get 15% off or if you spend $600+ use the code Sharp20 for 20% off!

I would also like to introduce a few new products as well!

The most exciting is the 7 Axis Articulating Work Rest. I would like to thank @REK Knives for the help develop this work rest. Josh was instrumental in the design and testing during the development of this work rest! He makes knives professionally and I think if you would ask him he’d tell you it’s his dream work rest!

This work rest will fit any grinder that takes at least two 1.5 inch tool arms. The tool arm is FULLY CNC machined from 6061 Aluminum and measures 15.75 inches in length. The rest of the work rest is built from Stainless Steel and Aluminum allowing it to be used for wet grinding. The only part made from steel is the laser cut table top. This work rest is built to be modular with tables and attachments being swapped out in seconds if equipped with the optional electromagnet. The tables have locating dowels to position them. They also have 2 bolts to hold the tables on if not optioned with the electromagnet.
The standard table is .375x4x6 inches and features machined bevels for grinding at angles. The optional large table is .375x6x24 which makes it perfect for jig grinding.
This work rest can hit any position needed for grinding in either vertical or horizontal configurations. It can also be set up in either left or right hand configuration. The
hinge point at the tool arm allows it to be quickly swung out of the way to change belts or attachments.
Stay tuned for more great modular attachments that will fit directly onto this work rest!
Normal price for the basic unit with the small table is $500. The electromagnet option is an additional $100. The large work table for jig grinding is an additional $50. The electromagnet and large table can be added to any basic unit if purchased in the future. Those and all prices listed here are before the discount this weekend!

Another awesome tool I am excited to announce is the magnetic, water cooled heatsink/chiller! There are quite a few guys running these currently and they all say they notice reduced heat build up on their flat and radius platens. These will snap right to the back of almost every factory grinder platen!

This tool requires the owner to purchase a small submersible pump (hardware stores or several places on the internet carry them). Just drop the pump in a bucket of water and plug the hoses (1/2 OD input and 3/8 OD output) into the included push to connect fittings. Place the heatsink onto the back of any magnetic flat or radius platen and switch the magnet on. It also comes standard with a coolant line, valve and nozzle to have an optional flood coolant spray onto your belt or work piece when desired. The hoses are not included in the package. These can be purchased by the required foot at any hardware store.

Add the optional misting attachment with an air line (air compressor required) and you’ll have the option to switch from flood coolant to a mist spray or air blast. The misting attachment will fit onto any 1/4 LocLine hose. Regular price on the heatsink is $125 and the misting attachment is an additional $25.

I have also begun producing radius platens that fit several of the popular grinders. These are currently available in a 9 inch long by 2 inch wide 72 or 48 inch radius platen. They simulate 72 and 48 inch diameter grinding wheels respectively. Each one has three sets of 1/4 inch bolt holes at 6, 6.75 and 8 inch spacings. Please check fitment to your grinder. The platens are CNC machined from 1018 CRS then professionally case hardened to 62RC. This makes for an economical yet very wear resistant radius platen. Perfect for anyone wanting to get into a nice radius platen without breaking the bank. I will very quickly have case hardened and surface ground flat platens available as well. Normal price on any platen is $75.

Lastly, I would also like to say that I now carry 5mm thick ceramic platen liners. These are professionally water-jet cut to tight tolerances with nice square edges. Available in 7, 8 and 9 inch lengths priced at $16-$18.

Magchucks are also in stock and on sale! These are excellent blade holding devices for hand sanding, file work or any other task. That’s a tool I know I couldn’t be without in the knife shop.

I hope many of you will take advantage of the sale this weekend and try out some of these tools!

All these tools are CNC machined right here in the United States by me. As always if anyone has any custom tools, jigs or platens they’d like built I will gladly work with you and quote them. Either order directly of my website, message me on the forum or shoot me an email (darren@contenderworks.com) to place an order.
Any orders placed this weekend should ship out early next week. Some pictures below of the different tools described above. Hope you all enjoy!

Is one end of the large platen bevelled/chamfered, and if not, how much would it cost to provide it like that?
Thanks.

No the large platens are not beveled as they are typically intended for jig grinding. Are you talking the short end? I could put a 45 degree chamfer on the bottom of one of the short ends pretty easy. I’d say an extra $5 to modify it like that.

@REK Knives said:
"The pivot point for the table is towards the rear of the table which allows for some pretty extreme angles, especially if you turn the long table sideways!"

Which made me wonder, if one uses the long table sideways, is the end chamfered? I may well have a completely inaccurate picture in my head of what he actually means. :rolleyes:

Thanks for replying!

Oh yeah I can see that. The long table could definitely be turned sideways and used that way. You’re right though with the end not being chamfered you would not be able to position it right up close to the platen when at an angle.

If I need it I'm just gonna grind the end of the table myself... Should go quick with a 36 grit belt :D

Yep, one can grind them readily enough, I agree. I'm asking so I don't get surprised. I purchased a horizontal grinder this past year only to find two of the three tilt-able worktables were not chamfered and the manufacturer said he didn't see the need. That along with a couple other littles niggles were pretty disappointing and made me realize I need to ask questions and not assume just because it seems obvious to me.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I am trying to decide on a radius cooled platen or work arm for an "On Sale!!!" purchase. :p I wanted one of those cooled platens way back a dozen years ago when health closed my shop for what I thought was good. What with Christmas and New Year's new deductibles, might have to wait on the bigger purchase. Gotta talk to momma.

Last edited:
Feel free to ask any and all questions! I know there are things that seem obvious to me but I forget to show off and explain well enough.
The water cooled platens are wonderful to use. The wet grinding can be a little messy unless you have a nice setup to capture it but definitely worth it in my opinion.

Let me know what you decide on! The current sale runs through tomorrow (Nov. 29th). I will likely have another sale of sorts closer to Christmas as well.

Thanks for the interest!

Flat platen on my KMG is 7-3/4". Will it matter as far as setup if I lop 5/8" off both ends of a 48" radius platen and re-radius that leading edge as the image shows? Bolt pattern is 6-3/4" on the KMG, btw. (Don't know if they kept these measurements or not.)

I haven't had the cojones to run wet on my all-steel frame KMG. Bought a mister, concentrate, and bucket but haven't tried it yet. Time'll tell. I'm really slow nowadays. I generate a lot less heat because I grind on the lower half of the throttle on that controller. And before, I just dipped it in the nasty bucket of water.

Thanks for answering my questions! I think this is the last one. ;)

Edited: Then the brain kicks in and he remembers “case hardened” and brain goes DOH again, How you gonna cut it old man, you gave away your chop saw.”. Perhaps I’ll just have to order a non-sale custom one. :confused:

Last edited:
Flat platen on my KMG is 7-3/4". Will it matter as far as setup if I lop 5/8" off both ends of a 48" radius platen and re-radius that leading edge as the image shows? Bolt pattern is 6-3/4" on the KMG, btw. (Don't know if they kept these measurements or not.)

I haven't had the cojones to run wet on my all-steel frame KMG. Bought a mister, concentrate, and bucket but haven't tried it yet. Time'll tell. I'm really slow nowadays. I generate a lot less heat because I grind on the lower half of the throttle on that controller. And before, I just dipped it in the nasty bucket of water.

Thanks for answering my questions! I think this is the last one. ;)

Edited: Then the brain kicks in and he remembers “case hardened” and brain goes DOH again, How you gonna cut it old man, you gave away your chop saw.”. Perhaps I’ll just have to order a non-sale custom one. :confused:
Yeah I run wet on my steel frame and it's NOT good hehe, I finally disassembled and painted everything so it's much better now. But I do have a trough under the wheels and guards so most everything is captured (except for when I do flood coolant :))

I can’t remember off the top of my head for sure but I think the newer KMGs also have a 7 3/4 long platen. Since the radius platens must sit way out in front of the pulleys the 9 inch platen should work just fine. You can see in the one picture above there’s a 9 inch long radius platen on a KMG. Though the belt isn’t installed that’s about where it should be and fits the grinder just fine.

To answer your question though, yes you could use an abrasive saw to cut the ends down shorter and regrind the leading edges to shape or I’d be happy to make whatever size platen you’d like!

Also, that is a good warning to everyone about wet grinding. Most grinders are made with a lot of steel and as we all know steel and water don’t mix well. Painting your grinder is a smart choice if you plan to do a lot of wet grinding. Or at least be diligent about keeping the machine wiped down when finished.

Currently the only thing I have for a mounted ceramic platen is the water cooled aluminum backing plates. I talk about them on my website some. Bottom of the page.

These have a shelf on both top and bottom to nest the ceramic. Same as the magnetic heatsink you can pump water through these platens. If anyone is interested in one of these send me an email or message me on the forum. I don’t have them listed in stock currently but depending on what grinder you have I may have one that will fit.

As always if there’s something special you want let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

Where does one plug the discount code in on your order forms, @Contender Machine ? I'm trying to order a chiller & mister. Contact form note regarding smaller radius platen request.

Ah, crap. I put the order through Paypal, hoping a space would show up to get the discount. Couldn't even leave the Paypal note today. My order is R452565792.

Where does one plug the discount code in on your order forms, @Contender Machine ? I'm trying to order a chiller & mister. Contact form note regarding smaller radius platen request.

Ah, crap. I put the order through Paypal, hoping a space would show up to get the discount. Couldn't even leave the Paypal note today. My order is R452565792.
I checked it out and there seems to have been some technical difficulties on my end. The reason you couldn’t find it is because it wasn’t showing up! It’s fixed now.

I will discount you the correct amount.

I plan to do a run of radius platens this week and will run a 7 3/4 platen for you when I do. Heat treat will take a little while so I’ll plan to send an invoice when it’s ready.

Sorry for the difficulties!

No apology necessary! Thank you for correcting my purchase amount. I look forward to getting the components and finally getting to use a radius platen. Tell you what, if you are making a run of both radii, I'll take both a 48" and 6' radius platen in 7-3/4 and have it done with. I'm told I'll like both radii.

Thanks!

No apology necessary! Thank you for correcting my purchase amount. I look forward to getting the components and finally getting to use a radius platen. Tell you what, if you are making a run of both radii, I'll take both a 48" and 6' radius platen in 7-3/4 and have it done with. I'm told I'll like both radii.

Thanks!
Sounds great! I’ll get them both made ASAP

Back