workshop layout

SHOKR

(i guessed this post fit here, feel free to move, thanks)
hey all soon god willing i'll finally have my workshop, its gonna be at the basement of my new house

shop.jpg

it will be about 10 x 4 meters

a wall will be built on the upper side, for teh time being the machines i'll have are, KMG belt grinder, drill press, and maybe a bench mini mill. and of course work bench, all electricity supply is on the lower long wall.

any suggestions on the design, plot, lighting, etc. i'm a definite noob :D would it be best to have anything special in the new wall about to be built? install vintalator? etc.

thanks

First suggestion on lighting would be to plan for enough and then add more. You can never have too much lighting.

A shop is always an evolving thing....many times we work really hard to design and build it just right. Reality is that as we get into these shops and start working, we find that our idea on paper often do not fit with our work methods/habits. Every shop I have build has always taken me 6-12 months of moving and changing things in order to make it efficient and comfortable....so just expect to do that.

I second the lighting...not only lots of of it, but also different types. My finish shop contains florescent, incandescent, halogen, and sodium vapor lights....each type of light will show things that another type missed. Another thing that you need to seriously consider for a basement shop is ventilation. That's going to be a tightly enclosed area, and dust/grit/dirt will be much more intense in that environment.

@Murph thanks will do!

@Ed good to know about light types (i never even heard of 2 of these), i was gonna go mainly florescent at ceiling and spot light at every machine or tool, and yeah i expected it would take a while to settle on MY design, but thought cant go wrong with asking the pros :D

on the left side there is a large glass door leading outside, but of course that wont be open always, and ta the top 2 small windows, but i know i'll need ventilation fan, just not quiet sure if there is a specific good place to place it.

many thanks :)

I'll add this--

Not only can you not have enough light, you cannot have enough outlets. Of course you want to make sure your wiring/breakers can handle the load, but mostly you want accessibility without having to drag an extension cord everywhere.

Also, you'll want a clean space for any finish work, sheath making, etc.

thanks NJStricker, yeah the already built wall 8 outlets, each 2 have their own switch, good idea about the clean area

thanks

Back