worthless wood

How do you define worthless wood? What type of pictures are you talking about? I've resawn my own wood before from material found on people curb. Spalted and curly woods are pretty common in DFW especially after bad droughts. Anyway, if you'd like to learn how to properly resaw your own logs I'll post some links, but honestly, I'm not sure what you're asking.

sorry shouldve been more specified, ive seen pen blanks made from worthless wood...............ie, unusable wood placed in mould and then the user adds resin with add dye/pigment and final product is a explosion of all colours

I've done it with sawdust actually. A while ago on one of the wood forums there was a DIY on using gorilla wood glue and small wood pieces down to saw/ shavings from various woods. It got me wanting to try it and eventually a few rings were turned from what would otherwise have been in the dust bin. Anyhow, the final product looks like a crazy burl... pretty nice. Pen turners tend to use resin or epoxy in much the same way we do when making our own version of micarta but it all depends on the average size of your particles. Epoxy and wood glue does well with the small pieces that can compact together but you'll need polyester resin to cast it properly. Here is an okay video on the subject.

I hope this helps, though its not exactly what you were looking for.

[video=youtube;_GCM_MHkbno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GCM_MHkbno&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
mike,
would that be the same resin you would use for a bartop?
and to change the subject a little, thank you for your service to our country.
scott

Hoah! :)

I've seen quite a few different types of resins used for bar tops so I'm not sure. Personally, I'd check out a pen turners site and see what they have on hand. Many materials will serve well as a substrate but very few will hold up to rigors of daily knife use. Working with smaller pieces such as rings and ornaments, almost anything will work to hold your wood pieces together but knife scales and blocks are an animal of a different color.

I have used 1050 resin with 2060 hardener from fiberglass coatings a Tampa Florida company. It mixes 5 to 1. Dries in about 20 minutes, I let it set over night. I also use it to make mosaic pins and my variation of micarta.

Back