Wrought Iron

Some folks sell anchor chain links on ebay. If y get one with the center bar, that part may be cast iron. Much of what us knife makers have been using over the past 15 years or so has either been buoy nachor chain or plating from a big old grain elevator on Lake Michigan. Don't know if any of the flat stuff is left.

Do they have any? There is none listed on the website. The site has apparently been updated in the last couple of years because it no longer lists Parks oil or Kelly Cupple's steel.

Baker forge has it from time to time.
Website says "notify when available." Most of what you see online these days is architectural stuff like fence sections, gates atc. That stuff is big money. Nobody in their right mind is going to bust those up to make fittings.

As I previously stated, some folks appear to have anchor chain links on Ebay for about $5 a pound. Google "anchor chain wrought iron for sale" and a couple of listings should pop up in the sponsored bar.

High temp tools returned my email and stated that they no longer have a source. I have looked on Ebay with no luck.

High temp tools returned my email and stated that they no longer have a source. I have looked on Ebay with no luck.
You should look again. I just Googled "anchor chain wrought iron" and then added "for sale' once again and several things popped up. 13 pounds for $64 was the first listing. If you want a LOT, you can buy an entire length of huge 2.5 diameter links still linked together for like $1100. OR if you are REALLY hungry, you can buy 5 tons for $1000 a ton. individual links are being sold to folks like us, but some is being sold as decorative material. What appears to not be available anymore is the flat plate from the late 1800's grain elevator from Michigan. I had a little of that a while back.

Sorry about that you are correct, I went back and looked at Ebay and there it was. In the interim I got a call from a local Blacksmith shop that's going out of buss and has a few bars so paying him a call tomorrow to look at the bars and to see what else he may have. he has not sold off anything yet. If people here are interested, I will see if he has a list of items for sale. We are talking a Detroit location.

Sorry about that you are correct, I went back and looked at Ebay and there it was. In the interim I got a call from a local Blacksmith shop that's going out of buss and has a few bars so paying him a call tomorrow to look at the bars and to see what else he may have. he has not sold off anything yet. If people here are interested, I will see if he has a list of items for sale. We are talking a Detroit location.
Cool. Remember that the more you forge wrought iron, the more you break down the slag inclusions. That means less "character" to the finished piece. If you bend and break a bar, it should look stringy.

Back