Wwym

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
W w y m (What would you make)

What would you make? Here are the materials.

(1) slab of damascus (1095 / 15n20 about 156 layers) Length = 15" height = 1.75" and thickness = just under .25"

(1) block of stabilized masur birch with wicked figuring.

So the question is ....with those materials what would you make? Would love to see some pics of designs you think would be cool with these materials.

Thanks Larry

1-1-5.jpg

2-1-3.jpg

3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Larry!
Well the obvious smartty awnser is, A Knife!:biggrin: OK! all kidding aside.

The pattern in the Damascus gave me some thoughts or a Arabian Knights upswept sword.
I would Use all of it for a Cemimeter Upswept type knife and use some yellow brass Mosaic pins And/or Bolsters. To me Yellow brass would bring out the best in the wood & That Damascus steel.

Keep us posted and If I can figure out how to use some of the neat stuff on my new Mini Mac puter at the store? I will post a drawing.

Enjoy and Have FUN!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Laurence
So google led me to something like this for "cemimeter knife" ----> Is this kind of what you were thinking? Thats pretty cool lookin...

Victorinox_40232.jpg

Last edited:
Laurence
So google led me to something like this for "cemimeter knife" ----> Is this kind of what you were thinking? Thats pretty cool lookin...

Victorinox_40232.jpg

Larry,

Yes! That is a Centimeter knife used for cutting up large pieces of meat. What I envisioned was a knife like this for ,Hmm, Should we say carving up live meat?

The broad blade and upswept tip really will show off the Damascus. Kinda like a Arabian Knights beheading sword, Ali Baba & the forty thieves & I dream of Jeanie kinda thing!
A large cross or even D guard of yellow Brass "If you do those sort?" And that wood will really class it up with out overpowering the Damascus.

Also Those nice tide pool type patterns in the steel would look great in a full flat grind with that upswept front third of the blade..

Wow! I am now ready to go make one my self!:lol:

Have fun!
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Well I am having trouble trying to draw a curved spine for an upswept persian style blade.... :sad:

Here's a pic of a blade shape that I really like..... Maker is Jake Powning, and his work is amazing. All that carving and intricate details..........beautiful.

1spirithorse21.jpg

I like the Sheffield style bowies or something like a Sam Bell style.

Back to the curve. I have a 16” section of band saw blade off a portable sawmill (any large band saw blade will do). I tie a shoe lace to the ends and shorten it until the band saw blade curves the way I like. Think of stringing a long bow, the shorter the string the tighter curve.

Larry,
That's the motif I was thinking of, But with a wideing and more up swept blade staring about a third away from the grip.

This is a backwards 2:30 am rough drawing I just did. More like a knife shaped like a Cutlass.
I took some liberty with the crescent moon at the end of the blade, That's were the Beheading sword part is.
It takes me many drawings to get what I really see in my mind's eye.
This is rough, I hope it helps?

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/
arabian Cutlass.jpg

Laurence
Thanks for taking the time to draw that out for me.... I am stuck with a thinner longer looking blade shape tho. I think mainly its because the damascus is only 1.75" and with the curve on the top of the spine its hard to make it look right. I am going to try and go with a blade shape like the Powning example. Hopefully it will turn out. I am working on making a hard board template before I draw anything on the steel....

Larry

I like the Sheffield style bowies or something like a Sam Bell style.

Back to the curve. I have a 16” section of band saw blade off a portable sawmill (any large band saw blade will do). I tie a shoe lace to the ends and shorten it until the band saw blade curves the way I like. Think of stringing a long bow, the shorter the string the tighter curve.

Brad thats a great example..... I am using something similiar with some flexible hardboard and a clamp. Tighten the clamp and the curve gets greater..... loosen it and the board goes flat. Lots of trial and error on this one I am thinkin....

Alright so my drawing skills are not good.......but I think I have a decent shape to start with anyways. Here's my template in hardboard.

template.jpg

I know the proportion isn't right, Now that it's morning time! lol.

The one you found is excellent and along the lines of the motif I was thinking of to show off the Damascus and if you left the blade steel grind at the recassio thicker for the first 1/3, And had it flow from say 1" to around the 1 3/4" Then put a 35-45 degree clip on the point to bring it to a Piecing point.
I made one like this a few years back. It sold quickly. Don't have any pic's anymore.

Anyway you have found a great start with that Powning Arabian style blade.

Let us know what you come up with?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

You must of just posted while I was typing!:35: That reverse of what I said looks great! I would use the end of the steel with the large tide pools near the ricassio to show them off!

Great start.
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I'm not quite sure about what I would make, but I would definitely make a matching set! Of 2 knives, probably a larger bowie/camp style blade and a smaller hunter, w/ mosaic pins, brass would look good on it, BUT I think COPPER would be awesome!!!! Just my 2cents worth, whatever it turns out to be, will be gorgeous! Rex

Back