You guys have a source for step drill bits?

blgoode

Looking for a clean way to counter sink pan head screws so Tom Krein told me to have the head side drill bit turned to have a custom size pilot bit so to speak. Anyone have these milled for them?

Those measurements didn't seem to be what I need for some reason. I emailed Tracey yesterday about the sizes.

Head screw sizes in the small ones used for folders are not consistant one supplier to another. Like you ARE doing find out the counter bore size before purchasing. I can't remember If R.B. has all the right size ones but I don't think so. I am using three drill bits for each screw size I use. Pain, huge pain. Frank

I guess I could try just using the correct diameter I need as a counter sink but I want the smaller dia as a pilot guide and have a square cut bottom for panhead screws.

Don Robinson made some for me several years ago. I gave him the head size and the pilot size for the screws I was using. Give him a call or e-mail and see what he can do.

Craig

Do you have a lathe, if so just get some O-1 and make your own.
Photo attached of what I made to make 1911 grips. I think this style bit with the right dimensions could easily be whipped up by anyone with a lathe and a mill.
grips11.jpg

Give me the dims and if I have some O-1 in the right size I will whip one out for you.
One thing to note that style bit does not drill a hole that effectively. What I do is drill a hole with a conventional bit about .010 smaller than the pilot diameter.
THis then takes pilot hole to the right diameter and then makes a flat shelf also.
CW

cwilliams
I think I need one with a pilot bit milled in but thanks for the offer!!!!!

#19 bit milled to 1/8" is perfect.@

And

17/64" bit
milled to a #12 pilot dia

Thanks guys. I'm going to call a couple local guys that may be able to turn one down hoping I can get what will work simple :)

Back