Your most popular model? A recent rendition of my 3" skinner in damascus and mammoth

Frank Hunter

Do any of you have a particular knife that just keeps getting picked?

I'm getting the backlog of knives caught up again - it's been a very busy two weeks. The first batch of pattern welded billets I obtained from Alabama Damascus, one sourced directly from them and the other from Jantz were not usable and I found that out mid-fabrication. Needless to say that caused a knot in the production string that I'm now getting worked out. Now that the steel has been replaced the blades coming from the new batch are absolutely gorgeous.

One of the knives on deck was what's turned out to be my most popular model, a trailing point 3" skinner with a 3 finger handle. You can choke up and get your whole hand around it but it's designed for a lighter grip. People are just drawn to this one out of a table full of my other work for some reason - I've sold them in everything ranging from oak, ironwood, mammoth ivory, you name it. I think I've done them out of every steel I've used aside from CPM 3V so far. Here's the latest one with some mammoth ivory from Nini, Alabama Damascus random pattern .140 and mirror polished mitered 304 stainless bolsters.

IMG_3654.jpgIMG_3659.jpgIMG_3667.jpgIMG_3682edit.jpgIMG_3686.jpg

These have run the gamut with styling, everything from the simplest pouch sheath to fully tooled horizontal rigs for the sheaths. Here's a few more shots.

IMG_2984.jpgIMG_2988.jpgIMG_2414.jpgIMG_2043.jpg#030-02.jpg

Hello Frank,
Its good when people keep picking out one model. you have found part of your niche.
After that it seems to go in cycles for me anyway?

For awhile it's can be my Rhino chop,
gu5e4epu.jpg

Then it will be my 7 3/4" Asian chef.
zugyvupe.jpg

Then back to the chop. with a few of everything else being sold from carving sets to paring etc..

When I want carbon Damascus, which is not very often, I buy from Randy & sons HHH.

Stainless Damascus I buy from Devin Thomas. Never had any issues with ether.

Last edited:
Back