1” Rockwell Sander - Go for it?

webicons

Hello folks - I’ve been looking around for a decent grinder for a while but finding a used 2x72 is like finding the holy grail.
I did come up with this 1x32 1hp Rockwell sander/grinder and I can probably pick it up for cheap.
Is this worth getting or should I pass and keep looking? Space is at a premium so if this won’t allow me to grow as a knife maker I would rather pass.
Thoughts?

Personally, I think it would be a waste of money. Although "any" grinder is better then none at all, something like this is barely better then none at all.

Concerning finding a used 2x72 machine..... if you do, chances are that the cost will be very close to a brand new one...that's just the nature of "good" 2x72 machines. My advice is save up, and buy a new 2x72 machine, with everything you want....and you'll never have to purchase another. If you purchase a machine such as a 1x32 or 1x42, you will quickly become disenchanted with it, and basically be wasting the money you spent.
Another aspect is that provided you purchase one of the "good" 2x72 machines, if you decide down the road you don't want it any longer, the resale value is there. If you plunk down money on a 1x32 or 1x42, that money is gone, and you will never get it back.

Last edited:
Ed has given you great advice. Can knives be made without a 2x72? Of course, but the fact that nearly every knife maker on the planet uses one ought to answer any question you have. But they aren't cheap as you have discovered. If you can get a little 1x30 to get going with, then why not. Don't spend more than about $50. They really are super useful for all kinds of stuff and they make fantastic sharpeners.

Thanks Ed, John - appreciate the advice. As recommended, I’m going to pass on this unit and continue saving. Apart from knifemaking the grinders seem so useful for a bunch of other things...

I reckon that I’ll be posting something soon ;)

You are right about that. A 2x72 grinder is the single most useful tool I've ever owned. If I didn't make knives I'd have a hard time justifying the cost of one, but after having one I cannot imagine not having one. I use mine daily for something non-knife related. Once you have one, you will cringe every time you watch a video of some guy using an angle grinder to hog off this or that. I catch myself saying, "Good lord... that would take me about 30 seconds and it would look factory, too..."

I have a friend who is a metal fabricator. The guy is a wizard. He lusts after my grinder, but he won't buy one for himself because the cost. I tried to explain to him that he could have bought one three times in the exchange for his lost time/labor of not having one. It's one of those things that you just can't fully appreciate until you have one.

You are right about that. A 2x72 grinder is the single most useful tool I've ever owned. If I didn't make knives I'd have a hard time justifying the cost of one, but after having one I cannot imagine not having one. I use mine daily for something non-knife related. Once you have one, you will cringe every time you watch a video of some guy using an angle grinder to hog off this or that. I catch myself saying, "Good lord... that would take me about 30 seconds and it would look factory, too..."

I have a friend who is a metal fabricator. The guy is a wizard. He lusts after my grinder, but he won't buy one for himself because the cost. I tried to explain to him that he could have bought one three times in the exchange for his lost time/labor of not having one. It's one of those things that you just can't fully appreciate until you have one.
Yep....how I EVER got by in a machine shop without my TW-90 I'll never know....seriously.

My wife was in my shop one day and I needed to write something down, I picked up a pencil...looked at it, turned on the Bader and sharpened it up real quick. I turned it off and looked at her and she was laughing, I said what's so funny?
she said, I just never saw someone sharpen a pencil like that. I laughed too, I really didn't think about it...it just kind of came natural....
like, that's how you sharpen a pencil out here!;)

Wayne - I was seriously considering building a grinder from a kit/plans but I have read/heard that the final product cost savings after time, expense, etc to be minimal and the quality lacking.

I’ve gone down the road of “hey - I can make that no problem for half of what you paid” and then after I’m done (tools, time, frustration) things didn’t come out quite as planned.

I looked at kits about two years ago so things may have changed since then. I’ll take a look at the links you had graciously provided. Thanks!

Well,, if saving between $1,000.00 and $2,000.00 is minimal, I guess you are correct.
Don't forget the learning experience and understanding your equipment.
Wayne

Hello folks - I’ve been looking around for a decent grinder for a while but finding a used 2x72 is like finding the holy grail.
I did come up with this 1x32 1hp Rockwell sander/grinder and I can probably pick it up for cheap.
Is this worth getting or should I pass and keep looking? Space is at a premium so if this won’t allow me to grow as a knife maker I would rather pass.
Thoughts?
I would look at some of the grinder kits available. Mine is a Wilmont LB1000 which has a lot of features seen on higher priced grinders such as interchangeable 1 1/2" square tooling arms and direct drive with 56C or 143/145TC face mount motors. the kit with wheels only needs a motor to be ready to go. You assemble, but everything is set up to be done with minimum of tools. $825 is not a bad price. Polar Bear forge and Oregon Blade Maker have similar kits for about the same price. you can find a 1 Hp 120vac VFD for about $150 delivered, a new 1 Hp 3 phase motor should be less than $200. so you would need about $1300 to have a variable speed 2x72. my LB1000 takes up a 2' wide, 3' deep spot in my shop. this is an entry level grinder but it can do everything the higher priced ones can except lay on its side. if your work area has 240vac, like for an electric clothes dryer, their are more options available for VFD and motor.

Back