14C28N Supplier?

Self Made Knives

I know some of you guys are using 14c28n, Ken, Calvin, etc. Where are you guys buying it? I bought the last stick from Alpha Knife Supply but he's moving locations and has been shut down for a while now. I bought other steels from NJSB, but he doesn't carry it. I'm out!

I think Admiral sells it. That's where I got my first Sandvik steel many moons ago. The last I bought I bought from Sandvik.

You can get a reasonable selection at Canadian prices from Canadian Knifemaker Supply. Sorry about that. It's ABE-L
Frank

Last edited:
Yeah guys, Canadian doesn't have it. Admiral doesn't have it. I looked at Sandvik's website, but I can't see that they sell to the public. That's the problem I've had with it before, Alpha was the only guy that seemed to stock it. I'm starting to think I need to find a new favorite stainless, this stuff is just not common enough.

Calvin - did you have to purchase a BIG batch from Sandvik? Can just anyone order from them? I just checked, Anthony is right, Admiral only lists 12C27, no other Sandvik listed.

Calvin - did you have to purchase a BIG batch from Sandvik? Can just anyone order from them? I just checked, Anthony is right, Admiral only lists 12C27, no other Sandvik listed.

Yes Ken a friend and I bought about $2000.00 worth,the best I remember. There was a Sandvik sales rep.that used to come by my shop,we dealt with him.

Calvin, I suspected it was a BIG purchase. That much steel would last me several lifetimes of knife making..... Well, I guess I'd actually be surprised how steel money I've spent in the last couple of years of knife making. Nothing like that of course, but it does add up pretty fast!

Ken H>

Ken, I'm blaming you for my withdrawals!:biggrin: You're the one how got me hooked. See if you can find us little guys a supplier at the show, maybe try to talk Aldo into carrying some Sandvik steel.

Got an email from Sandvik. Here's what the USA office said:

Unfortunately we do not stock this material in our warehouse. We special order per customer requirement from our mill in Sweden
and the minimum buy on this item is around 2,200 lbs. depending on the thickness.

They went on to say Alpha Knife Supply was their only supplier for 14c28n in the US. And, that Admiral sells some of their other flavors.

Looks like 14c28n is dead. Alpha Knife Supply has finished their move and reopened, and here is what Chuck says:

We tested 14C28N extensively and came to the following conclusions. AEB-L has better edge holding and is less expensive. Z-FiNit has much better corrosion resistance and performance.

We are discontinuing 14C28N because it does not excel in any category.

Let me know your opinions & thoughts.
Best Regards
Chuck

BUMMER!!!!! on Chuck's response. I notice his supply of 14C28N is much lower than before and that's the ONLY Sandvik steel he shows. Aldo had "talked" about stocking Sandvik, but not sure he's going to. I really like Sandvik's steels. AEB-L just isn't in the same league for ease of HT'ing.

Sad news for sure.

Ken H>

Chuck says he's working on getting AEB-L in thicker stock, but won't know for sure for a couple months. That was one of the limiting factors for me and sent me to 14c28n in the first place. I wanted 5/32" stock, but couldn't find it in AEBL.

Back