1x30 grinder in the style of a 2x72?

No..... it would just cost a lot more. I highly encourage you to save up and buy a good 2x72" machine. Over and over I have seen the following scenario play itself out.....
Buy a "cheap" grinder, and find it will not do the job/hate it. Then spend a little more money, and buy another "cheap" grinder..... find it will not do the job/hate it, and many a couple more times. Finally, buy a "good" 2x72 grinder. The catch is, that buy going through other machines before finally buying a good 2x72 machine..... the money spend could have purchased 2-3 "good" 2x72 grinders.

Pretty much all the machines that use 1" wide belts are design for very light duty on SOFT materials like wood and plastics. Along with that, nearly all 1" wide belts are for soft materials/wood. There are a few exceptions, but IF you can find 1" belts designed for metal cutting, they cost as much, or more then 2x72"s.

No..... it would just cost a lot more. I highly encourage you to save up and buy a good 2x72" machine. Over and over I have seen the following scenario play itself out.....
Buy a "cheap" grinder, and find it will not do the job/hate it. Then spend a little more money, and buy another "cheap" grinder..... find it will not do the job/hate it, and many a couple more times. Finally, buy a "good" 2x72 grinder. The catch is, that buy going through other machines before finally buying a good 2x72 machine..... the money spend could have purchased 2-3 "good" 2x72 grinders.

Pretty much all the machines that use 1" wide belts are design for very light duty on SOFT materials like wood and plastics. Along with that, nearly all 1" wide belts are for soft materials/wood. There are a few exceptions, but IF you can find 1" belts designed for metal cutting, they cost as much, or more then 2x72"s.
Thanks Ed ... I know you're right. I just need to bite the bullet and get one .... now ... which one to get ... hmmm.

My advice is to stick with tried and true brands...... My personal favorite is KMG/Beaumont Metal works, but Bader, Burr-King, and a few other that have been around for a while.
Just steer clear of all the johnny come lately ones! The majority of them are just trying to cash in on the currently popularity of knifemaking....and when you need them, they won't be there. If the price seems too good....there's likely a reason. There are a couple that are currently being sold on Ebay for around the $400 mark, that have gotten a lot of attention from those who don't know any better. I've seen both in person (because folks brought them to my shop, wanting me to help them "fix" it).... the only way to describe them is.... they are a SCAM.

I'm not against building your own, it's just that a good majority don't have the tools, or fabrication skills/abilities to do it correctly, and end up with just another machine they are frustrated with. Besides, unless you just want to do it yourself, by the time you factor materials/parts purchases, and your time, your at, or very near the dollar amount of buying a "good" one.

If ya wanna go to Texas good buy in For Sale section! But buyer won't ship! 3 grinders for 2200 bucks! Could sell of the extra ones and get yours for free! My buddy has one if the GIBs from Polar Bear Forge he loves it! I have one of his Multi-Platens that is fantastic! There not super fancy but they work well!! I'm considering buying one to have a second grinder so I can set up my Reeder as a horizontal with small wheel and then a Vertical GIB for grinding but, I digress!

My advice is to stick with tried and true brands...... My personal favorite is KMG/Beaumont Metal works, but Bader, Burr-King, and a few other that have been around for a while.
Just steer clear of all the johnny come lately ones! The majority of them are just trying to cash in on the currently popularity of knifemaking....and when you need them, they won't be there. If the price seems too good....there's likely a reason. There are a couple that are currently being sold on Ebay for around the $400 mark, that have gotten a lot of attention from those who don't know any better. I've seen both in person (because folks brought them to my shop, wanting me to help them "fix" it).... the only way to describe them is.... they are a SCAM.

I'm not against building your own, it's just that a good majority don't have the tools, or fabrication skills/abilities to do it correctly, and end up with just another machine they are frustrated with. Besides, unless you just want to do it yourself, by the time you factor materials/parts purchases, and your time, your at, or very near the dollar amount of buying a "good" one.
This is so true. I built my own grinder for about $600 and then another $300 for the VFD. But that doesn't include my time. If I factor in my time at what I was making when I retired I have a $4000 grinder. I honestly wish I had bought one rather than built. It was an interesting learning experience though.

Back