3 phase motor/VFD question

So I'm making the move to buy a real grinder and have also decided to bite the bullet and get a 3 phase motor/VFD set up. My concern is, because I live in a house that I rent, I can't really mess with the electrical set up to much. Will I run into issues running my motor/VFD set up. I've seen where it says you can't have the outlets with the reset buttons on them, which my garage does have. What can I do to be able to run this set up without having to call the rental company or electrician? Thanks.

I ran into that problem to. I grind alot outside my walkout basement and there is a gfci outlet right out side I plugged in my grinder and immediately relized it didnt work.
There is and outlet inside the basement with a regular plug. I ran a short heavy duty extension cord to it and it works fine. I dont know if there are any rules to using and extension cord with a VFD but so far no issues.
Is there an outlet close or one for the garage door opener on the ceiling?

The KBAC VFDs that I sell have a filter that allows them to be used with a GFCI outlet.
Let me know if I can help you.

One thing to consider with VFDs is rf interference. If you have neighbors this can be a major annoyance. The better units are shielded but there are some out there that will kill radios for thousands of feet around. I had to toss one one of those even though it did the job fine.

I think in your situation.... the power, outlets, ect. would have to be your first/priority consideration. The kind/type of connections will have to dictate that you choose the components that will work (type/size of VFD, and type/size of motor) with the power/connections that are available. That will mean doing research, and checking closely the specs of the components you want to use, and might dictate what components your power source(s) are capable of supporting.

I would assume that the outlets in your garage are 110V? Versus 220V? If only 110V is available, that, in itself, will severely limit your options. You mentioned "rental company" which leads me to believe that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to request permission to install a 220V line.... which would give you many more options.

Having been in similar situations during my military career (renting), it meant that I had to stick with straight 110V/single speed grinders..... for me, it was the only option I had, that still allowed me to make knives.

If you use a KBAC 27 D

You can use a one and a half horsepower motor plugged into 110vac 15 amp breaker

Yes it's expensive compared to the cheap vfd's but this one work on 110 and the others use 220

The position of the GFI outlet in the circut is what affects the VFD
You can move it, or just replace it with a "normal " outlet

do you have an electric dryer or electric range? both run off 240vac. if dryer is in garage might be way to go.
don't understand the panic of GFI. no mention of using or not using GFI outlet in my Leeson Speedmaster manual. My TECO FM50 actually suggests it
"Ground Fault Circuit Breaker:
❙ To ensure personnel safety, a ground fault circuit breaker should be added to prevent false operation caused by
leakage current."
shop here http://dealerselectric.com/variable-frequency-drive-motor-control.asp good selection of 120 and 240 VFDs. I have been using a TECO FM50 for 4 years with no issues.

I ran into that problem to. I grind alot outside my walkout basement and there is a gfci outlet right out side I plugged in my grinder and immediately relized it didnt work.
There is and outlet inside the basement with a regular plug. I ran a short heavy duty extension cord to it and it works fine. I dont know if there are any rules to using and extension cord with a VFD but so far no issues.
Is there an outlet close or one for the garage door opener on the ceiling?
That is def an option. But it may be looking like I can run 240v after all. Thanks!

do you have an electric dryer or electric range? both run off 240vac. if dryer is in garage might be way to go.
don't understand the panic of GFI. no mention of using or not using GFI outlet in my Leeson Speedmaster manual. My TECO FM50 actually suggests it
"Ground Fault Circuit Breaker:
❙ To ensure personnel safety, a ground fault circuit breaker should be added to prevent false operation caused by
leakage current."
shop here http://dealerselectric.com/variable-frequency-drive-motor-control.asp good selection of 120 and 240 VFDs. I have been using a TECO FM50 for 4 years with no issues.
I'm not supposed to make any changes to the existing set up but there's no reason why I can't use the same 240 outlet the clothes dryer uses, right?

When I started making knives I was renting and couldn't make changes to the place. My garage was on the other side of the utility room door, luckily. I ran my grinder off the dryer outlet for two years. My wife would come out to the shop and tell me I had to stop for a while because she needed the clothes dryer plugged in, haha!

A good length of flexible SO cord with the appropriate plug for your dryer outlet will work like a champ.

When I started making knives I was renting and couldn't make changes to the place. My garage was on the other side of the utility room door, luckily. I ran my grinder off the dryer outlet for two years. My wife would come out to the shop and tell me I had to stop for a while because she needed the clothes dryer plugged in, haha!

A good length of flexible SO cord with the appropriate plug for your dryer outlet will work like a champ.

Nice! That's definitely the move then. Not being able to use the dryer for a couple of hours is a small price to pay for living with an amatuer knifemaker!

Back